The Translational Cancer Immunology lab at the Mass General Cancer Center is seeking a highly motivated and well-organized candidate for a full-time Research Technician position. The candidate will play a key role in advancing the lab’s research goals to understand the mechanisms driving human immunity with an emphasis on tumor immunology. The lab has been working closely with MGH clinicians to study the immune response in patients with cancer, infections and autoimmunity using leading-edge genomics and proteomics methods. In addition, the lab utilizes animal and cell culture models to analyze mechanisms of innate and adaptive immunity. The candidate will be responsible for designing and carrying out experiments with their supervisor.
Principal duties and Responsibilities:
- Isolate immune cells from patient and mouse tumors and contribute to their characterization using advanced methods of single cell molecular profiling. Candidate would work with primary cells from these tumors.
- Techniques used will include: flow cytometry, cell sorting, cell culture, single cell RNA-seq, PCR, DNA sequence analysis, western blotting and CRISPR technologies.
- Independently carries out non-routine, highly specialized experimental procedures in histology, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, molecular biology, mouse cellular immunology
- Independently modifies and/or develops techniques and methodologies necessary to meet research and/or experimental needs.
- Organizes workflow as needed and coordinates scheduling of experiments.
- Ordering laboratory reagents and maintain mouse colony for tumor immunity studies.
- Maintain databases for patient derived clinical specimens.
- Organizes and accurately maintains written records of experimental procedures and data collection.
- Contribute to preparation of manuscripts resulting from data generated in research projects.
- Performs advanced data analysis using complex software programs and statistical techniques.
- May teach moderately difficult to complex lab techniques to students and research personnel.
- Participates in weekly lab and project related meetings.
· 1+ years of lab experience, preferably in an Immunology/cancer laboratory
· Experience with common biological techniques, such as cell culture and molecular biology techniques, protein analysis, and preferably mouse cellular immunology
· Strong organizational skills and communication skills
· Quantitative data analysis skills highly desirable.
· Highly self-motivated, reliable and responsible.
· Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Able to work both independently and as a part of a team.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Attention to detail in experimental techniques and record keeping.
BS/BA/equivalent degree (or Masters) in biology, cell and molecular biology, Immunology, microbiology, biochemistry or related field in the sciences. Experience as a research technician or leading independent research projects ideal.