39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI
Post-Secondary Special Education Transition Program for Students Ages 18-26
Special Education Teacher Post-Secondary Transition
Macomb Academy is looking for dynamic, skilled, interested, and enthusiastic people to join our staff. Macomb Academy is a post-secondary charter public school focused on employment preparation and training and independent living skills, serving students with disabilities ages 18-26. The focus of the curriculum is to deepen and enhance confidence, self-advocacy, and overall independence by individualizing instruction based on each student’s vision for his or her adult role in life. Through the process of energizing, equipping, and empowering, students are challenged each day to achieve their goals within the school environment and the community-based employment training experiences. The role of the transition classroom teacher is to serve as the caseload manager for a designated caseload of students, and to design, develop and deliver classroom instruction throughout the length of the school day to students enrolled in courses intended to increase adaptive skills, meeting the unique educational needs of the students. The teacher is responsible for the process of teaching and learning, assessment, special education and accountability compliance. In collaboration with building staff, provides support and assists students in developing the necessary skills and dispositions to achieve their employment preparation and training, and daily living goals.
1. Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
2. Valid Michigan teacher certificate with an SA endorsement in special education (Cognitive Impairment).
3. Demonstrable ability to relate well to and work with students with special needs.
4. Demonstrable patience and creativity in instruction and the ability to engage students in the learning process.
5. Demonstrable knowledge in development and implementation of transition curriculum focused on employment preparation and independent daily living skills.
6. Demonstrable knowledge of the primary transition domains.
7. Demonstrable knowledge of transition requirements.
8. Demonstrable knowledge of positive behavior intervention and supports (PBIS).
9. Demonstrable knowledge of data driven and informed decision making.
10. Enthusiastic and willing to participate in all aspects of the instructional program.
11. Demonstrable ability to provide leadership to paraprofessionals by communication, demonstration and example.
12. Cooperative, positive, and flexible in student and staff relationships.
13. Demonstrable ability to follow building administrator’s written and verbal instructions.
14. Demonstrable ability to be a self-starter, independent worker, and take initiative.
15. Good attendance and punctuality record at previous job or educational experience.
16. Must pass criminal background check as required by School Safety Legislation.
Assigned Responsibilities Shall Include but Not Be Limited To:
1. Support the mission of Macomb Academy: The mission of Macomb Academy is to provide, in collaboration with community and business resources, a transitional educational program to prepare students for adult roles in the workplace and life.
2. Perform professional responsibilities independently.
3. Plan curriculum for all assigned students, with assistance of other professional staff, and administrator approval.
4. Establish transition skill goals/objectives for learners and employ data driven and informed decision making to measure progress and modify goals/objectives in order to verify that skills are being acquired
5. Plan and implement both school and community-based activities designed to meet the individual needs of the learner.
6. Provide vocational training instruction and experiences in line with industry standards.
7. Collect, record, analyze and interpret data relating to the skills of the learner.
8. Utilize technology to enhance and support the educational program, and curricular scope and sequence.
9. Direct the work of paraprofessionals responsible to the teacher in support of classroom instruction and community experiences.
10. Maintains records of students, all supplies, materials, equipment and projects.
11. Attend scheduled meetings and professional learning experiences as designated by the building administrator.
12. Responsible to, and other assignments determined by, the administration of Macomb Academy.
Posting Date: May 1, 2021
Work Year: 10-month position/186 Days
Work Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Start Date: Immediately
Work Location: Macomb Academy
Salary: Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Macomb Academy and the Macomb Academy Education Association MEA/NEA
Apply: Position open until filled. Send Letter of Interest describing background and qualifications for
the position, and a current resume to:
39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI 48038
Macomb Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with all state and federal non-
discrimination laws and regulations including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Applicants seeking employment may request reasonable accommodations under ADA and may be subject to post-offer physical examination and background check with the Michigan State Police Department.