39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI
Post-Secondary Special Education Transition Program for Students Ages 18-26
Paraprofessional – Instructional Support and Job Coach
Macomb Academy is looking for dynamic, skilled, interested, and enthusiastic people to join our staff. Macomb Academy is a post-secondary charter public school focused on employment preparation and training and independent living skills, serving students with disabilities ages 18-26. The program helps to deepen and enhance confidence, self-advocacy, and overall independence by individualizing instruction based on the students’ visions for their adult roles in life. Through energizing, equipping, and empowering, students are challenged each day to achieve their goals within the school environment and the community-based employment training experiences. The role of the paraprofessional in the classroom and job coach capacities is to assist students in developing the necessary skills and dispositions to achieve their goals.
1. High School graduate with experience working with students with special needs.
2. Community college credit or successful completion of ETS or the WorkKeys Assessment, preferred.
3. Cooperative, positive, and flexible in student and staff relationships.
4. Patience and creativity in instruction and the ability to engage students in the learning process.
5. Ability to follow post-secondary transition curriculum focused on employment preparation and independent daily living skills.
6. Interest in and ability to support the mission of Macomb Academy by supporting students in the classroom and community, and community-based, building-based micro-enterprise, and independent job training sites.
7. Interest and ability to instruct and guide students in developing ideas and creating independent arts and crafts projects to sell in the building-based micro-enterprise job site.
8. Ability to follow classroom teachers’ and community partner training site managers’ written and verbal instructions.
9. Ability to be a self-starter, independent worker, and take initiative.
10. Good attendance and punctuality record at previous job or educational experience.
11. Must pass criminal history background check as required by School Safety Legislation.
Assigned Responsibilities Shall Include, although not Limited to:
1. Support the mission of Macomb Academy: The mission of Macomb Academy is to provide, in collaboration with community and business resources, a transitional educational program to prepare students for adult roles in the workplace and life.
2. Directly responsible to the building administrator, with co-responsibility to the classroom teacher, and the collaborative agreement with the community partner training site manager.
3. Duties as assigned by the building administrator/classroom teacher.
4. Attend scheduled meetings and professional learning experiences as designated by the building administration.
5. Under the direct supervision of the classroom teacher classroom paraprofessionals assist in:
a. operation of the classroom
b. preparing instructional materials
c. maintaining classroom environment
d. instructing and supervising students throughout the school program, which may include beginning and ending of the day and lunch, and
e. maintaining good and positive home, school, and community partner relations.
6. Through the collaborative work training agreement with the community partner training site manager job coach paraprofessionals maintain:
a. transportation of students to and from community-based work experience training sites using Macomb Academy fleet vehicles,
b. supervision of students on the training site,
c. provision of instruction, guidance, modeling, and gradual release of responsibility to students on the training site,
d. good and positive home, school, and community partner relations,
e. accurate records of progress monitoring training site goals and objectives, and
f. timely progress reporting of student progress related to training site goals and objectives.
Posting Date: May 1, 2021
Work Year: September to June school year calendar/184 days
Work Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., according to school calendar
Start Date: Immediately
Work Location: Macomb Academy and Community-based Work-based Training Sites
Salary: Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Macomb Academy and the Macomb Academy Paraprofessionals
Apply: Position open until filled. Send Letter of Interest describing background and qualifications for
the position, and a current resume to:
39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI 48038
Macomb Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with all state and federal non-discrimination laws and regulations including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Applicants seeking employment may request reasonable accommodations under ADA and may be subject to post-offer physical examination and background check with the Michigan State Police Department.