39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI
Post-Secondary Special Education Transition Program for Students Ages 18-26
Macomb Academy is looking for dynamic, skilled, interested, and enthusiastic people to join our staff. Macomb Academy is a post-secondary charter public school focused on employment preparation and training and independent living skills, serving students with disabilities ages 18-26. The program helps to deepen and enhance confidence, self-advocacy, and overall independence by individualizing instruction based on the students’ visions for their adult roles in life. Through energizing, equipping, and empowering, students are challenged each day to achieve their goals within the school environment and the community-based employment training experiences. The role of the building manager is to serve as the primary building and grounds maintenance and security technician, and to provide instruction and support to students who are assigned to and engage in a work training experience in the capacity of the building care crew. In the latter role, the building manager coaches, supports and assists students in developing the necessary skills and dispositions to achieve their employment preparation and training, and daily living goals.
1. High School graduate.
2. Community college credit or successful completion of ETS or the WorkKeys Assessment, preferred.
3. Work experience or training in building maintenance trades.
4. Availability for early morning, evening, night, and weekend building checks.
5. Ability to relate well to and work with students with special needs.
6. Cooperative, positive, and flexible in student and staff relationships.
7. Patience and creativity in instruction and the ability to engage students in the learning process.
8. Ability to follow post-secondary transition curriculum focused on employment preparation and independent daily living skills.
9. Ability to follow building administrator’s written and verbal instructions.
10. Ability to be a self-starter, independent worker, and take initiative.
11. Good attendance and punctuality record at previous job or educational experience.
12. Must pass criminal history background check as required by School Safety Legislation.
Assigned Responsibilities Shall Include but Not Be Limited To:
1. Support the mission of Macomb Academy: The mission of Macomb Academy is to provide, in collaboration with community and business resources, a transitional educational program to prepare students for adult roles in the workplace and life.
2. Responsible for the cleanliness, preservation and routine maintenance of all equipment, spaces, materials, and machinery associated with a designed buildings and grounds position.
3. Transport, supervise, and assist students as directed by building administration or designee.
4. Attend scheduled meetings and professional learning experiences as designated by the building administrator.
5. Provide on-the-job training coaching experience for students assigned to the Building care jobsite through:
a. supervision of students on the training site,
b. provision of instruction, guidance, modeling, and gradual release of responsibility to students on the training site,
c. good and positive home, school, and community partner relations,
d. maintaining accurate records of progress monitoring training site goals and objectives, and
e. timely progress reporting of student progress related to training site goals and objectives.
6. The building manager shall:
a. clean and preserve designated spaces, equipment, and materials in accordance with school seasonal requirements, and to develop written scheduled for it,
b. perform routine preventative and corrective maintenance on heating, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing, electrical, building vehicle fleet, custodial and maintenance equipment, and building structure and hardware, and to develop written schedules and maintain records for it,
c. replace ceiling tiles, fluorescent ballasts, wall convenience outlets, switches, sockets, and fixtures,
d. maintain written inventory control of cleaning and preservation consumables and supplies, organize storage areas for maximum efficiency and orderliness,
e. clean and dust furniture, fixtures, windows, doors, trim and related furnishings,
f. collect bags, or dispose of waste paper, debris or junk using containers for removal by trash removal truck,
g. wash all interior and exterior windows and doors,
h. perform normal operator adjustments and service to building heating, ventilation and air condition systems, and maintain records on operation and maintenance,
i. report unusual and/or erratic conditions of building utilities, facilities and operations to the building administrator,
j. maintain functioning of the fire and security alarm systems,
k. maintain records and reports as directed by building administrator,
l. possess responsibility for security of the building,
m. clean snow and debris from walks and foot traffic by hand or power equipment, as available,
n. move furniture, supplies and miscellaneous as required,
o. guard property against fire, theft, and illegal entry,
p. work from ladders and go on the roof, and
q. perform these and other duties as assigned by the building administrator, or designee.
Posting Date: May 1, 2021
Work Year: 12-month position/220 Days
Work Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Start Date: Immediately
Work Location: Macomb Academy
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Apply: Position open until filled. Send Letter of Interest describing background and
qualifications for the position, and a current resume to:
39092 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI 48038
Position open until filled.
Macomb Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with all state and federal non-discrimination laws and regulations including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Applicants seeking employment may request reasonable accommodations under ADA and may be subject to post-offer physical examination and background check with the Michigan State Police Department.