Summary Job Description:
Supervises the daily activities of children who are under the care of the agency performs related work as required. Responsible for the behavior, safety, and custody of a group of children residing in an agency operated facility. Work is performed during an assigned shift and the nature of the daily routine to be followed is affected by the shift assignment. Work requires dealing with children with emotional problems and the employee is expected to handle all situations in a calm and effective manner. Assignments are received from a Child Care Supervisor or the Chief Child Care Worker.
• Supervises the activities of the children residing in the cottage; ensures that rules and procedures are followed.
• Depending on the shift assignment, may assist in organizing, supervising and participating in recreational and other group activities which may involve driving clients.
• Instructs children on personal hygiene; supervises and participates in maintaining the cleanliness of the cottage.
• Depending on the shift assignment, may be expected to prepare and supervise meals and assist in the housekeeping of the residence.
• Enters information concerning activity of residents during shift into the Cottage Log; prepares incident reports as required.
• Some knowledge of the methods and techniques of dealing with adolescent behavior, of group leadership and of appropriate disciplinary procedures.
• Ability to gain and hold the confidence of the children and to maintain a sympathetic and understanding attitude towards them.
• Ability to understand and follow the laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the care and safety of children under care.
• Ability to keep routine records and to make oral and written reports.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Valid NYS driver’s license.
• High School Diploma
•Ability to lift at least 50 pounds