AmeriCorps VISTA: Videographer and Communication Coordinator
Program Type: AmeriCorps VISTA
Program: LEO Inc.
Work Schedule: Full Time
Education level: College graduate
Age Requirement: Minimum: 18 Maximum: None
Program Location: Lynn, MA
Accepting Applications: 09/15/2021 – 01/03/2022
Start/End Date: 01/10/2022 – 01/10/2023
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members serve full-time for a year at nonprofit organizations or local government agencies to build the capacity of these organizations to carry out programs that alleviate poverty.
LEO Inc. provides a safety net of services for at-risk, low-income families, stabilizing them for the short term while investing in a long-term, two-generation approach to education that promotes economic independence and family stability. We partner with individuals, children and families in Lynn, Lynnfield, Marblehead, Nahant, Saugus, Swampscott, and Wakefield to increase participation in programs that maximize their potential. Together we demonstrate that it is possible to break the cycle of poverty and move forward.
LEO’s signature programs are Early Head Start and Head Start, early education and care for children from birth to 5 years; home heating fuel assistance; and community services that provide basic needs resources to our community. LEO’s intake and referral process ensures that our clients have access to the full complement of services for which they qualify, which also include supplemental food distribution, emergency rent and utility assistance, English language and financial literacy classes, VITA income tax preparation, and other programs that improve an adult’s ability to be an effective caregiver and head of household.
VISTA Member Benefits:
– In House Training
– $1,027.88 biweekly living allowance; LEO provides an additional $300 monthly rent stipend; $6,345 Segal Education Award after completion of a full-year of service*
– Health insurance coverage
– Experience in nonprofit management; professional development
– Student loan forbearance or deferment, accrued interest will be covered
– Childcare subsidy, where applicable
– Relocation allowance, where applicable
– 10 personal days, 10 sick days, holidays observed by LEO will not be counted toward days off
*The Segal Education Award can be used to:
- Repay a qualified student loan; or,
- Pay the cost of attending a qualified institution of higher education
- Or, the member can choose an end of service cash stipend, approximately $1,800 for a full year of service, instead of the Segal award.
This is a great opportunity for growing and seasoned professionals with career interests in:
– Public administration
– Marketing and communication development
– Education reform
– Community service
– Videography and media content creation
– Review the past year’s activities with the Director of Development and Communications and other VISTAs to finalize the sustainability of outreach plans/programs. Then create recommendations to be followed by future VISTA members.
– The Videographer and Communications Coordinator will primarily help support a communication strategy that furthers LEO’s mission in the area of overall education of the community.
– Assist Director of Development and Communications to develop a videos of LEO’s events and document effective outreach and communication strategies.
– Collaborate with the Development and Communications department to enhance citywide communication strategies that reflect the success of outreach activities and community participation.
– Work closely with the Director of Development and Communications to implement a sustainable outreach plan by collecting data and media sources to advance LEO’s effectiveness in the community.
The ideal candidate would possess:
– Exceptional and effective communication and writing skills;
– Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
– Strong work ethic and commitment to producing high-quality projects;
– Excellent interpersonal strengths with a desire to build relationships among staff, clients, and donors;
– Multi-tasking ability while managing a workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
– Ability to coordinate the efforts of diverse collaborators;
– Ability to increase productivity and improve methods, approaches, and contributions;
– Commitment to continuous learning;
– Basic camera and general technology skills;
– Understand the full spectrum of the production process including camera operation, lighting and audio
– Videography and editing skills.
– Must be ready to learn, develop, and show initiative
This job is:
– A good fit for undergrad and grad students looking to develop their professional skills in a workplace
– A good fit for applicants who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
– A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
– A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
– A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
– A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply