Larmax Homes develops, owns and manages memory care homes for the elderly. Our eight homes are located in Bethesda, Maryland and McLean, Virginia and the company has a strategic plan to expand our footprint in the next several years. In 2017, along with other program recognition, Larmax received the Insight “Excellence in Care” award for our innovative model of care. We may be a small company, but we are at the forefront of an expanding marketplace and are a thought leader in the industry. We are looking for a Recreational Therapist who will be instrumental in helping us continue to accomplish great things. We are also using our experience and skills to develop DiscoveryPaks, which enable us to deliver our valuable engagement services to those outside of our homes who could benefit from well designed, therapeutic activities.
As part of a unique engagement team of trained professionals, our Recreational Therapist will develop and provide quality therapy services for residents including individual, family, and group therapy, therapy assessment, and treatment plans. Through the use of games, sports, crafts and more, he or she will maintain our residents’ social, spiritual, intellectual, emotional, educational and physical well-being. In doing this, they will also help our residents integrate into their community via group activities. The Recreational Therapist will also collaborate with our music and art therapists, nursing, social work, PT, and OT as needed.
To assess resident needs, our Recreational Therapist will consider medical records, personal observation and talks with the resident and his or her loved ones. Once they know the resident’s needs, they will develop a therapeutic program targeted toward what that resident requires most. This can entail a variety of activities; therapists need to keep current on communal and therapeutic resources available to best help our residents. Therapists will also document the resident’s progress during their activities. The therapist will implement APIE throughout programming along with documenting and assessing with valid and reliable scales to measure the residents progress.
- Plan, organize, and implement comprehensive leisure services designed to meet each resident’s social, spiritual, intellectual, emotional, educational and physical needs and interests
- Maintain and improve functional levels of residents with cognitive and physical challenges
- Involve the resident in recreational and leisure activities appropriate for age, disability, and environment
- Maintain space, equipment, and supplies for the provision of therapy services
- Actively perform as a member of the interdisciplinary team and demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide interventions appropriate to the age of the resident served
- Ability to build consensus, manage relationships, and solve problems
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong customer service orientation and listening skills
- Degree in Recreation Therapy
- Certified or eligible to sit for the certification exam with 6 months of hire
- Able to qualify for company transportation insurance
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in
- Microsoft Office, Power Point, Publisher, Excel
- Engaging verbal and written communication style
- Prior experience and training working with the elderly living with cognitive and physical challenges