KnowYourVote is a non-partisan political information platform that empowers all Americans to participate in the political process. KnowYourVote gives voters quick, easy access to information about candidates and key political issues at stake. We do this by aggregating primary source information to give the voter accurate, unbiased, and non-partisan information at their fingertips. Voters use KnowYourVote to compare / contrast candidates, understand where they stand on an issue, and see how their personal preferences match to each candidate.
We are an early, pre-seed start-up. We launched a beta site for the 2020 presidential primaries and are looking to expand for the 2020 general election. We released a beta site for the presidential primaries, which helped us validate really strong category demand and confirm our initial user personas. We’ve launched early partnerships with Patagonia, Ben and Jerry’s, and Headcount to conduct initial testing and grow our user base. We grew our beta to over 12k unique users in about a month’s time, with no marketing staff and little marketing budget. We’ve seen really strong interest from millennial and gen-Z women in particular, and received social shout outs from Jessica Yellin and Ilana Glazer.
Given the success of our beta, we are now building a full MVP to incorporate congressional, senate, and down-ballot races in advance of the 2020 general election. We look for interns who are passionate about preserving democracy, making information easier to access, and changing the landscape of the American electoral process for the 2020 elections and beyond.
- Be able to develop web scrapers (Python preferred)
- Be able to write SQL
- Familiar with Postgres (or similar database)
- Comfortable utilizing REST APIs
- Advanced scraping using frameworks like Scrapy, beautifulsoup, selenium, etc ideal
- Critical thinking and ability to make recommendations on structure and next steps
- Moderate understanding of American political system
- Minimal experience building and deploying machine learning algorithms
- Minimal knowledge of back-end development