Research Associate – Gene Therapy
Company Summary: We are a stealth mode preclinical stage biotechnology company based in San Diego, California. We are focused on developing the next generation of recombinant AAV-based gene therapies to treat genetically defined diseases. With novel AAV capsids and transgenes, we are addressing key limitations of current gene therapies to improve their efficacy and safety.
We are a privately held start-up company with experienced leadership, a world-class scientific advisory team, and with strong and supportive investment partners. We want to hire bright, creative, and entrepreneurial scientists who are committed to helping patients, doing the right thing and building a high performing team.
Position Summary: We are currently recruiting for a highly motivated and independent Research Associate to join our team to help expand our discovery research efforts and advance our lead assets into the clinic. Position title will be commensurate with experience. This laboratory-based position will collaborate with in vivo pharmacologists and molecular biologists to advance our discovery pipeline. Key responsibilities will focus on the establishment of mouse models of disease and evaluating novel gene therapies in vivo. Additionally, the role will assist with downstream bioanalysis to assess pharmacodynamic biomarkers and other molecular and pathological endpoints. The candidate may also assist with cell-based assays to optimize gene therapies and develop innovative new assays. As we are a start-up company, this position has tremendous room for growth and opportunities across multiple areas of R&D, including in vivo pharmacology, cellular and molecular biology, bioanalytics, toxicology and CMC, in addition to collaborative opportunities with external partners.
· Independently execute mouse studies, including colony management, dosing, necropsy and sample collection, in collaboration with the head of pharmacology and other scientists
· Perform novel and routine assays to characterize gene therapies in cell- and animal-based models, including biomarkers and pathological endpoints, using ddPCR/qPCR/western blots.
· Opportunities to develop in vitro cell-based assays and construct novel transgenes to advance our AAV gene therapy pipeline
· Prepare summaries of data and present internally to colleagues and management
· Drafting SOPs, following protocols, diligently documenting experimental data in electronic lab notebooks, and authorizing scientific reports for internal documentation or regulatory submissions
· Actively support a culture of innovation, learning, respect, and trust
· Bachelor of Science degree in the life sciences with ~2+ years of research experience, preferably related to drug discovery. Prior industry experience is a plus.
· Previous experience with maintaining mouse colonies and executing in vivo pharmacology studies, including intravenous/retro-orbital dosing, necropsy and/or functional/behavioral evaluations.
· Proficiency in standard molecular biology techniques including cloning, transfection, cell culturing, qPCR, and high throughput processing of samples for RNA/DNA/protein.
· Willingness to learn new laboratory methods is required; however, previous experience with AAV-based gene therapies is preferred.
· Prior evidence of working in a team-based interdisciplinary environment.
· A multi-tasker and problem solver with strong verbal and written communication skills, and a team-first mindset.
Kate Therapeutics is a privately held start-up company with experienced leadership, a world-class scientific advisory team, and leading venture-capital investment partners. We want to hire bright, creative, and entrepreneurial scientists who are committed to helping patients with a science and medicine driven approach, and building a high performing team.
Kate Therapeutics offers an exciting environment where our mission to serve patients, teamwork, career growth, and personal well-being are prioritized. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including bonus and stock options, holidays, generous paid-time-off, flexible working options, 401(k) plan, and comprehensive medical/dental/vision/life and AD&D insurance.
For consideration, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
We foster an environment where all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation or expression, age, disability or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.