IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Corporate Support Vice Presidency is responsible for communications, outreach, and partnerships, alongside other core functions including HR, budget, and IT. The Vice Presidency supports the implementation of IFC’s business strategy for effective delivery of our programs to clients and partners, in close collaboration with relevant counterparts across the World Bank Group.
The Communications and Outreach Department is responsible for managing IFC’s communications and outreach strategy with a focus on the Corporation’s business priorities, including cross cutting themes. The department has five integrated units that facilitate strategic engagement with both internal and external stakeholders. The units include: Corporate Communications, Regional Communications, Global Industry and Thematic Communications, Creative Productions, and Public Affairs & Risk management.
The IFC Corporate Communications is responsible for communicating the organization’s message and priorities with both internal and external audiences, with the goal of maximizing IFC’s reach and impact, aligning messages, and strategically targeting key audiences.
Roles and Responsibilities
We are seeking a Communications Officer, Web & Content, to be based in Washington DC, to support the development of IFC, in close coordination with all units involved.
IFC’s web team, part of the Corporate Communications Unit, is responsible for the quality and relevance of IFC’s corporate website, ensuring its content is aligned with IFC’s strategy and presented in the most engaging way, offering the best user experience, and upholding the highest technical standards. The chosen candidate will be the main editorial contact for IFC.org, ensuring content is aligned with corporate priorities. The candidate will also work on flagship initiatives, such as the online version of the Annual Report, our regular newsletter IFC Insights, and on IFC’s online pressroom.
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate and inspired by the possibilities of the web, and who wants to leave a mark on IFC’s online presence. We seek a candidate who is creative, experienced and strategic, and who cherishes teamwork, advanced planning, and clear reporting and analysis. This is a unique opportunity to work at the heart of an international organization’s efforts to leverage the power of the web to accomplish its mission of creating opportunities where they are needed most.
The position will report to the Principal Communications Officer, Media & Digital.
The chosen candidate will be expected to:
• Take a leading role in the formulation and the implementation of IFC’s web strategy.
• Create high quality, engaging, web-friendly content that tells IFC’s story, providing users with an engaging experience.
• Take a leading role in the migration of IFC.org to a new platform Content Management System, along with the redesign of the site’s main pages and information architecture, in close coordination with various units across the World Bank Group.
• Provide regular feedback and guidance on online content to colleagues (editors and producers) working in thematic and regional areas, ensuring content is up to date, aligned with strategic priorities, and engaging.
• Assist in the management of an online editorial calendar and the coordination of IFC’s Web Producers Team.
• Align digital marketing initiatives with key objectives and priorities, gain real time insights into audience behavior and leverage insights to deliver relevant online audience experiences.
• Employ all available web tools and data-tracking instruments to measure the performance of the website and to analyze and report on it effectively.
• Improve the quality and potential impact of IFC.org’s presence, including its accessibility and usability, its credibility and trustworthiness, and how well poised it is to respond to SEO challenges.
• Act as a source of web expertise for IFC staff on the latest trends and best practices.
• Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance or related field, with 5 years’ experience in communications, including experience with successfully creating content and editing stories for websites.
• Big picture thinker with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills while effectively maintaining a pulse on details.
• Excellent writing, editing and research skills and an ability to quickly produce quality, engaging, and crisp documents and presentations.
• Solid conceptual, research and analytical skills, with an ability to think strategically and rapidly synthesize information from varied sources into concise conclusions and recommendations.
• Ability to work under stress and to juggle multiple tasks on tight deadlines.
• Proficiency with content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite, other digital communications tools, and social media.
• Solid understanding of the digital communications landscape, including trends in social media and web platforms. Clear command of leading-edge communications, measurement and analytics tools.
• Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and teamwork skills.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.