The Research Associate is responsible for providing assistance and carrying out material preparation, prototypes build and design, develop process, test methods, modification of formulation, and characterization related to product development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (COMPETENCIES):
• Design, fabricate test fixtures for mechanical and electrical assemblies, using machining, metal forming, fixtures, soldering, power supplies, and lab test equipment
• Perform wet chemistry in a laboratory environment as directed by the Research Managers or Scientist(s). Minor modification of the material formulation for targeted upgraded performance.
• Select, order and evaluate materials for remote instrumentation, based on specifications of the engineering departments, and based on specifications determined within the instrumentation test process
• Order and install equipment related to fixtures, solder, assemblies and instrumentation, and maintain stock of regularly used materials and supplies
• Document procedures for testing of fixtures, assemblies and instrumentation
• Develop manufacturing processes for materials developed by research scientists. Work with the engineering team in the development and implementation of workflows for lab maintenance and operation.
• Develop new test methods for more efficient material performance assessment.
• Work with machining, metal forming, fixtures, soldering, power supplies, and lab sensor test equipment
• Follow laboratory compliance and site specific environmental protection requirements, policy and procedures
• Perform other duties or special projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline; chemistry, metallurgy, material science and engineering preferred
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience in safety, quality assurance, and best engineering and laboratory practices
• Knowledge of spc and process variation reduction within a manufacturing environment
• “Hands on” machine repair/modification and test experience
• Demonstrated ability to complete a wide-variety of assignments in a manufacturing lab environment with a minimum level of support/direction
• Ability to read and understand product design and fabrication documentation
• Ability to document design changes for specifications per standards