Open Source Mentor with Harvard-based Non-profit (fully remote)
Position: Open Source Mentor
Department: Leadership Outreach Team
Location: Fully remote
Salary: Unpaid, volunteer
Hours: Full-time, Part-time
Reports to: Leadership Outreach Lead
humanID (part of the Bluenumber Foundation), is an anonymous, nonprofit and open-source online identity, replacing invasive Social Sign-Ins (SSOs) such as ‘Login with Facebook’, or Google’s ReCAPTCHA. The login enables complete privacy at full convenience. No password, no data stored. At the same time, we enable communities to block bots and abusive users.
We are a volunteer-driven nonprofit where volunteers & interns take over real responsibilities. Team members will work directly with the 4 founders, who include seasoned entrepreneurs & 2 HBS graduates. You’ll be working in a real startup environment, and be able to build connections across the tech and philanthropic world. We’ve built an awesome team and a product that can change the world!
To learn more about our organization, visit our website at www.human-id.org.
At humanID, all roles and tasks are adjusted to your specific learning objectives. You will have the opportunity to lead teams, initiatives, sales calls and much more. We care about your professional development and focus on every individual’s learning journey.
About the role
Summary of job function
Lead junior developers from top schools to build world-changing, Mozilla-backed technology. You will mentor and develop relationships with the developers at humanID, passionate individuals who work with humanID to both learn and make an impact. Depending on time availability, this can range from occasional calls to a CTO/Technical co-founder role.
- To mentor the passionate developers at humanID, who are actively learning and making an impact.
- Have a deep understanding of the code and lead high-quality code reviews.
- Ensure all security issues are being properly addressed in and out of code
- Represent us in external events, conferences, grant and sales calls
- Depending on time availability, this can range from occasional calls (1h/week) to a CTO/Technical co-founder role.
- Open Source Mentor will assist and guide the Developers with the following areas:
- Agile development, Kanban, SCRUM, Extreme Programming
- Frontend web development (HTML, CSS, JS, Bootstrap)
- Backend web development (Django, Node.JS, Golang, PHP)
- CI/CD (Docker, AWS, GitHub Actions)
- Open source development
- SDK development and maintenance
- 5+ years of professional experience as a software developer or computer engineer
- Active Github account & experience with open source & cybersecurity projects
- Strong communication skills with the ability to explain complex technical issues to technical and non-technical audiences
- Software engineering generalist who cares deeply about developing secure, efficient, and user-considerate software that empower and improve lives
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science or related field
- Experience with non-profits & startups is ideal
Immense Flexibility on Location & Working Hours
Roles can be part-time or full-time and will be unpaid. You will take on significant responsibility and make a direct positive impact! We are actively recruiting year-round for applicants that can commit at least 15 hours a week for at least 3 months. We are looking for new joiners starting anytime, year-round.
humanID has been completely remote and globally set up even before the pandemic, and welcomes team members from anywhere in the world, under the condition that your working hours of choice have a significant overlap with U.S. Eastern Time.