Who We Are
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF supports Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through grantmaking and direct services in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment and the environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness, diversity and empathy.
Who We Seek
Hispanic Federation is seeking an Education Policy Intern to join our education policy team and support HF’s education policy platforms in local and New York State government. The internship offers hands on experience with policy analysis and working with New York City and New York State Education Policy, NYS and NYC Departments of Education, and community groups working on behalf of Latino communities. The intern will support HF’s Policy Analyst and Compliance Specialist.
- Research and analyze key data points, focusing on the needs of HF’s community, member organizations, and experts to guide the advocacy agenda and policy documents.
- Draft and prepare advocacy letters, position papers, testimony, action alerts & press statements.
- Assess the impact of local, state, and federal developments on the Latino community with regards to PK-12 school, higher education, and adult education issues.
- Support the logistics of rallies, meetings, conference calls and coalition-related events.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student with an interest or focus in education policy
- Experience with research and policy analysis is required
- Strong writing required, an understanding and familiarity of education policy needs strongly preferred.
- A quick learner with the ability to support shifting priorities.
- Strong commitment to the Hispanic Federation’s mission and experience working with diverse communities an asset.
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish is strongly preferred.
All internships with the Hispanic Federation are paid experiences. The internship position is being offered at $17 an hour with a maximum of 20 hours a week. Hours will be flexible and will be set by the start of the internship period.
Internship will run from October 2021 to December 17, 2021 with a possibility for extension in Winter and Spring terms.
Hispanic Federation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against actual or perceived race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation and/or other protected categories.