Gryphon Scientific is a small consulting business with a unique focus on physical and life sciences, public health, and program management and evaluation. We capitalize on our staff’s rich, past experience in the laboratory, in policy shops and from the field, combined with literature-based research and interview data collection, to tackle projects with complex technical challenges. Our projects drive policy changes in security, preparedness, and science policy at the highest levels of US government. Abroad, we advise governments in the developing world on how to cope with daunting public health challenges. Our aim is to improve the health and safety of populations world-wide. The energy of our small business environment, as well as our commitment to technical excellence, attracts staff with the highest qualifications. Gryphon strongly encourages collaboration throughout the company, between junior and senior staff and across disciplines. Personal and professional development are actively supported through opportunities to work across a wide range of projects. Gryphon boasts a laid-back work environment, a comprehensive employee benefit package, and places an emphasis on work-life balance, which has afforded us excellent employee retention. We are growing and looking for new staff members to join the Gryphon team.
Gryphon Scientific seeks an administrative generalist who can easily shift from one task to another and execute a broad range of common back-office functions, such as updating budget spreadsheets, meeting planning, document formatting, proposal assistance, computer set-up, recruiting support, managing inventory and anything else you can think of that is needed to help run a small, dynamic company. This position is a 50/50 mix of on-site and off-site work.
Every applicant must include a cover letter that explains how your prior experiences position you to be able to take on all kinds of duties and do them quickly, completely and accurately. Gryphon offers an ideal opportunity for a dynamic individual with prior office experience to build additional skills across the spectrum of business functions. Please note the salary range and tell us what your salary expectation are.
- Work on your own to format a proposal document that is due in 2 hours.
- Support a small team to plan a meeting, send out invites, and publish the agenda.
- Interface with the IT vendor to get a new hire’s computer ready.
- Assist the recruiter with scheduling interviews and setting up the video meetings.
- Collect data on 20 new sales opportunities and update the database.
- Revise a PowerPoint training presentation by interviewing the expert scientist on staff.
- Research and resolve a problem an employee is having with their benefits.
- Take notes at a company meeting and publish them after the meeting is over.
- Make recommendations for process improvements or a new software feature.
- Figure out a new labor law in CA and determine how company needs to comply.
- Associates Degree and at least one full year of administrative experience.
- Willingness to relocate to DC/MD/VA and work at Takoma Park, MD office location.
- US Citizenship (please confirm citizenship in cover letter).
- Vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Strong Excel and Word skills; experience with the entire MS Office Suite.
- Ability to work on multiple initiatives simultaneously and at multiple levels of complexity, from routine administrative tasks to team participation.
- Ability to work independently to complete tasks on time and within budget.
- Patience, time management, organizing, scheduling and listening skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to achieve 100% accuracy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative problem solving; likes to tackle complex issues and work through hard problems.
- Gryphon’s 2021 benefits package includes fully paid health, vision and dental insurance to all full-time employees choosing individual coverage, 25 paid days off (holidays and other leave) to new employees, matching 401k contributions made into the company plan up to 3% of salary, professional development funding, tuition reimbursement, transportation subsidies, funds to help pay for wellness costs (like the gym) and more.
- Gryphon supports professional development including conference attendance and career specific training.
- At Gryphon, we take pride in maintaining a safe workplace centered around inclusion and valuing diversity. We boast a friendly, balanced work environment. Gryphon employees often take afternoon walks to the local ice cream or coffee shop. The dress code is comfortable and most of our space is comprised of individual offices.
- Mentorship is taken seriously at Gryphon Scientific. There is an open-door policy for all staff, meaning you can ask for advice from any staff member, from the owner of the company to your manager to junior staff. We’re a place that actively encourages intellectual engagement and provides analytical challenges on a wide range of projects.
- We encourage all senior staff to participate in business development efforts and the company supports senior staff pursuing work in their areas of interest.
- We want you to be you and value the unique gifts that you bring to the workplace and your colleagues.
Salary Range: $35,000 – $45,000