Become a better developer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses. We connect people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services and experiences. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you’re ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you a great problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
We are looking for a software engineer to join our team for developing and maintaining the latest Groupon Web platform, formed by an ecosystem of independent applications developed in Node.js, Express.js, React/Preact and interacting with backend components via a REST APIs that serve as a proxy for internal microservices. We are looking for a front-end engineer who collaborates with product designers and experienced engineering teams to deliver features that improve our Web and Touch user experience for the Groupon Web platform.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
Our development ecosystem:
- Node/Express JS
- Deployment to AWS
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Build the consumer experience for the Groupon Web pages. This includes front end Web development while employing a working knowledge of backend development to consume REST services.
- Work with product designers to ensure all user interactions are implemented correctly to provide great user experience.
- Build unit tests along with code; Practice TDD
- New development testing and debugging, deploying and host configuration.
- Make sure functionality works across all major browsers and mobile devices.
- Build SEO friendly Web pages.
- Build for performance; you’re the kind of person who can take a page that loads in 2 seconds and get it down to 1 second or less.
- Work with other developers across Groupon to ensure we’re using best practices and standard solutions
- Help build our technical execution plans and ensure we hit all milestones
- Work in an Agile development environment with short sprints
- Participate in code reviews and help teammates write better code
- Build global, internationalized solutions
- Drive the team to ensure maximum quality of code and testing
We’re excited about you if you have:
- BS or MS in Computer Sciences (or equivalent industry experience) or related fields with 1+ years of experience creating Web applications
- Experience with ES6 and TypeScript, Webpack or similar assets pipelines and Web Performance
- Experience working with Agile Experience in e-commerce platforms
- Experience developing mobile Web platforms
- Git as a basic work tool
- Excellent HTML5, HTTP, JSON and CSS3 experience
- Good understanding of microservices architectures and RESTful APIs
- Ability to solve problems and learn new technologies
- Passion for building high-quality user interfaces aimed to provide the best customer experience
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with quality: Your production code just works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our inclusive employee groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.