Global Ambassadors Language Academy
FY22 Substitute Teacher
Global Ambassadors Language Academy (GALA) is an international, dual language immersion, K-8 school in Cleveland, Ohio. As a nonprofit, public charter school, GALA is tuition-free and enrolls students from within and around Cleveland. GALA currently offers two target immersion languages: Mandarin and Spanish. As the only dual language immersion school in Northeast Ohio and first Mandarin immersion school in Ohio, GALA offers a nationally successful education model to the region.
As a dual language immersion school, GALA provides instruction of all core subjects (Math, Reading, Science, Social Studies) in two languages: English and a Target Language (Mandarin or Spanish), leading to dual proficiency (reading, writing, listening, speaking).
GALA’s Mandarin Immersion Program and Spanish Immersion Program is enrolling K-6 students for the 2021-2022 school year. GALA will add one grade level each year and grow each year to eventually serve approximately 700 PreK-8 students. In grades K-2, instruction is provided in the Target Language for 70% of the school day and in English for 30% of the school day. In grades 3-5, instruction is provided in the Target Language for 60% of the school day and in English for 40% of the school day. In grades 6-8, instruction is provided in the Target Language for 50% of the school day and in English for 50% of the school day. This model involves two teachers per grade (K-8): one to provide instruction exclusively in the Target Language and the other to provide instruction exclusively in English.
Job Title: Substitute Teacher
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Reports To: Principal
Status: Full-time, Salary, Exempt
GALA’s Substitute Teacher, or Sub, will primarily be responsible for teaching and supervising students in the event that their regular teacher is unable to lead class. Their duties include managing classroom behavior, quickly interpreting lesson plans, and creating reports to inform the students’ permanent teacher of their success.
Responsible for delivering on the following goals:
- Adhere to the curriculum and lesson plans assigned by the regular teacher.
- Follow procedures and achieve lesson goals.
- Assign and explain homework.
- Oversee students outside of the classroom including in the hallways and cafeteria.
- Comply with all school regulations and policies at all times.
- Take attendance and document daily notes.
- Ensure classroom and work is kept clean and orderly.
- Oversee the normal classroom rhythms and activities.
- Compile a report for the teacher for when he/she returns.
Essential Job Functions:
- Implement and teach lesson plans and instructions as directed by the absent teacher, or consult with principal or other responsible staff if lesson plan is not provided
- Maintain a clean, respectful, and orderly classroom, and follow classroom and school procedures as directed by the school
- Leaves notes or complete a Substitute Teacher Report Form for the regular teacher at the end of the teaching day
- Communicate in a friendly and positive manner towards parents, students, and administrators
- Keep records on attendance, accidents and incidents
- Protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Ensure the safety of students at all times
- Bachelor’s degree required
- K-12 Teaching certification or Sublicense required; General experience with elementary aged children preferred
- Bilingual in Mandarin and/or Spanish are a plus and preference will be given to such candidates
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially with students and parents;
- Experience in new & innovative school models, language immersion, or International Baccalaureate a plus;
- Enthusiasm to innovate, try new things, and be a part of a collaborative team;
- Experience working cross-culturally and/or commitment to improving one’s own cultural competence
- Passion for early language immersion education and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program;
- Special commitment to helping urban students succeed required;
- Knowledge of charter schools and the education landscape of Cleveland preferred.
Qualified candidates can apply on the North Coast Shared Alliance website at https://www.northcoastssa.org/.
The application portal web address for the direct application is:
Applications are accepted until positions are filled, but we strongly encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible to be considered for the first set of interviews.
GALA actively seeks and encourages candidates of traditionally underrepresented groups (race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability) to apply.