There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
We value excellence, and we are driven by ingenuity and innovation. We strive for continued efficiencies and have the tenacity to win. As a Manufacturing Welding Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for proposing and evaluating manufacturing processes and equipment for effectiveness. This makes your work meaningful! There are accountabilities in maintenance, implementation and continuous improvement process controls methods for the body shop welding, fastening, sealing & adhesive applications.
- Provide welding engineering support to the Body production organization.
- Knowledge of joining processes that may include:
- Welding processes – spot, mig, plasma, laser welding
- Aluminum Spot welding
- Sealer & Adhesive Vehicle requirements
- Clinch & Rivet Applications
- Drawn Arc Stud Welding
- Projection weld nut welding
- Provide plant floor troubleshooting, training and problem solving to root cause analysis
- Be a technical resource for manufacturing engineers, skilled trades and production teams
- Process validation experience with new equipment build, installation and start-up
- Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to the manufacturing process
- Provide a safe work environment & follow all policies
- Work with engineering & production teams for quality, warranty & cost improvement activities
- Coordinate guidance from internal/external customers to meet customer needs and/or perceptions
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Welding Engineering Technology, Materials Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.