The CDAO (Chief Data Analytics Office) Advanced Analytics CoE (Center of Excellence) is responsible for developing analytics-driven solutions to help GM business functions achieve their business goals. You will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team of various experience levels that will be driving solution design and development of analytic models in support of business facing analytic groups. The team is responsible for both advanced analytics strategy and applied, project-based solutions, focusing on the company’s most critical business areas. As a Data Scientist, you will be applying Data Science and Modeling techniques to tackle complex business problems. This includes opportunities to solve business problems using data mining, predictive modeling, simulation and visualization.
Are you driven and passionate about data analytics and data science?
Can you lead with our vision for the future?
Come be part of an industry whose vision is to change the future of mobility.
About the Internship:
As an Advanced Analytics intern, you will have an opportunity to work on a project that may entail:
- Develop analytical solutions by applying Data Science and Modeling techniques actionable insights for better decisions and better business performance:
- Perform hands-on analysis, design, and development of analytical solutions
- Perform exploratory and targeted data analyses, which could include complex event and real-time event processing
- Build predictive models and machine learning algorithms
- Analyze large amounts of diverse information to discover trends and patterns
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Prepare and clean structured and/or unstructured data
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present complex information using data visualization techniques
- Identify actionable insights, make recommendations, and communicate results to business and technical audiences
- Establish strong working relationships with cross-functional teams to formulate business problems and validate assumptions
- Assess new technologies, as needed, as related to solving business problems
- Work under guidance of a senior data scientist on analytical solutions
- Get exposure to other work being done in the Advanced Analytics CoE
Potential summer projects may include:
- Analyze trends and patterns using vehicle telemetry data to improve customer experience
- Develop a propensity model to predict whether a customer with purchase a product or service
- Develop a customer segmentation model to inform product marketing
- Forecast customer churn rates for subscription services
- Pursuing Master’s or PHD in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Engineering, Economics, Data Science, Advanced Analytics, or other quantitative field
- Proficiency with at least one programming language such as Python, R, Scala or Java
- Graduating no earlier than December 2022
Desired Prior Experiences, Skills & Competencies
- Prior hands-on experience with several of following methods: classification, regression, similarity matching, clustering, co-occurrence grouping, profiling, link prediction, dimension reduction, tensor decomposition and regression, causal inference and etiology
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Experience with SQL and familiarity with relational databases
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, or similar
- Cultivates open, inclusive culture that supports learning and encourages collaboration.
- Has a thirst to learn the latest knowledge in software and hardware products or services, trends, help select best solutions to meet business requirements, and support the presentation and explanation of design solution to customers.
- Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.) and Machine Learning pipelines (Scikit-learn, DASK, etc.)
- Experience with deep learning libraries such as tensorflow or pytorch
- Experience or deep interest in geographic information system (GIS) such as GIS data representation, coordinate system projection, geostatistics, geocoding and cartography
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
Remote: This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
The Start date for these internships’ roles are for May & June of 2022 Spring/Summer Internship
The median salary range for this position in Colorado is $4700. Applicable salary ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.