At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team explores new vehicle and societal innovations that require some level of invention before they can be applied to our products and services. The team is building on a history of Ford innovation, including our invention of the three-way catalytic converter to modernize vehicle emissions controls in the 1970s and the world’s first rear inflatable seat belts in 2010.
Today, we are exploring and delivering ways to make smarter vehicles and our transportation system more efficient to improve people’s lives by helping them move more freely, safely and enjoyably. For example, we are changing how our products are made by creating high-quality vehicles in an environmentally and socially responsible way, including the use sustainable materials. Since 2000, we have used 12 industry and world-first plant-based materials in our production vehicles. We also are researching the possible use of tomato skin, bamboo, agave fiber, dandelion roots, algae and coffee chaff as part of our ambitious goal of making our vehicles with up of 20 percent sustainable material by 2025.
What you will be able to do
As a key member of our Electric Machines and Power Electronics Research team, you will apply your creativity, insight and entrepreneurial spirit to the design and manufacture of future power electronics converters. You will be responsible for the execution of design, analysis, manufacturing feasibility and testing of automotive inverters and DC-DC converters. You will:
- Develop next-generation electric power conversion systems for electrified vehicles
- Drive research on power converters(silicon and wide bandgap devices)
- Make a significant contribution to the Ford IP portfolio
- Provides technical input to other engineers or engineering support personnel
- Monitor international research toidentify research trends, challengesandopportunities
- Support power electronics integration intransmission and driveline subsystems
- Communicate results through papers, technical reports and presentations
- The minimum requirements we seekPhD in Electrical Engineering
- Three or more years of experience with power electronics (coursework/co-op/internship experience during PhD studies allowed)
- Our preferred requirementsStrong knowledge in the following power electronics areas:
- Hands on experience with modeling, simulation, design, implementation, testing and debugging power conversion systems
- Expertise with advanced silicon IGBT technologies and wide bandgap devices (SiCandGaN)
- Familiar with analog/digital circuit design and microprocessor-based control circuit
- Understanding of gate drive, passive components, power module packaging and interface specifications (electric, mechanical, thermal)
- Knowledge in EMI modeling and analysis, measurement and regulations for power electronics components and converters
- Proficiency in circuit and multi-physicsFEAsimulation software (Matlab/Simulink, Saber, Spice, Q3D, ANSYS)
- Extensive experience with testing equipment (oscilloscope, curve tracer, impedance analyzer, network analyzer, spectrum analyzer)
- Knowledge in the following areas is desired:
- Electric machine/power convertercontrol theory
- Thermal management
- Physicallayout of converters
- Manufacturingofpower electronics componentsand power converter assemblies
- Understandingofautomotive applications
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks
What you will receive in return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.