From Quantum Computing to Dark Energy, from Higgs Boson to the mysterious neutrino- if you are an Application Physicist and up for the greatest challenge and would be interested in working with the top tier scientists and engineers from across the world, come join us!
Fermilab is America’s best-in-class laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in US and around the world, including CERN in Switzerland, deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Fermilab seeks a highly motivated Application Physicist to join the Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Development Department of the Particle Physics Division. The selected candidate will play a leading role in research activities and engineering work to advance experimental systems in America and abroad, to develop the field of machine learning within High Energy Physics, and to aid the digital efforts within quantum computation.
Must be able to contribute optimally within a diverse workforce and upholds Fermilab’s dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion!
- Perform system administration for ASICs Department computing, networking, software, databases, and licenses in collaboration with engineers, vendors, Fermilab computing and service desk.
- Work on specification development for ASIC designs with focus on development of custom, physics-realistic emulation of ASIC within experiment readout system.
- Verification of ASIC designs using Universal Verification Methodology (UVM) with focus on working with physics experiments, developing emulation of ASIC input and ASIC behavior to provide physics-realistic test datasets, and developing verification tests based on realistic ASIC physics use cases.
- Develop hardware systems, software, and procedures for test, characterization, and calibration both for ASIC functionality and radiation tolerance.
- Develop machine learning architectures in ASICs for High-Energy Physics applications including network training and performance evaluation
- Work closely with Place-and-Route teams for large ASIC projects.
- Prepare documentation for ASIC datasheets, reviews, and publications.
- Deliver presentations internally, as well as national and international workshops, and at topical conferences.
We Are Looking For
- PhD in Physics (or similar field)
- 4+ years post-doctoral experience in experimental high energy physics
- Experience with design and operation of readout systems for high energy physics experiments
- Experience with digital ASIC design with focus on specification development and verification
- Experience with ASIC testing, characterization, and calibration
- Readiness to work on ambitious projects with tight schedules
- Familiarity with UVM, machine learning principles and their application in hardware, and radiation effects
- Strong digital literacy and competence in programming, especially Python and C++
- Comfort and interest in continually learning and applying new skills and methods.
- Experience in documentation and presentation of technical work.
- Ability to travel by automobile and/or commercial aircraft both domestically and internationally.
- Capability to work in a research and development environment
Relocation is available for this position
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.