The Research Assistant (RA) for the TechLab assists management and staff in the preparation of technical and operational studies of payment system policy issues that are interdisciplinary in nature. The RA is responsible for collecting and maintaining data from multiple computing environments, resolving data accuracy problems, performing database manipulations including conducting routine financial analyses, and providing textual descriptions to accompany data, as well as preparing charts, tables, and other materials as necessary. In addition, the RA will be responsible for assembling documents and reports which incorporate text, spreadsheets, and graphics in a single document.
- Works closely with a multidisciplinary team of technology professionals, policy experts, economists, and others to advance thought leadership on payments technology and the future of payments.
- Assists members of the TechLab with conducting research and analyzing new technologies broadly relevant to digital currencies and other payment, clearing, and settlement activities.
- Assists with identifying, researching, and analyzing risks; identifying risk mitigations; and documenting consequences for application and hardware development.
- Performs routine financial and statistical analysis, plot data, and provide information on distributional characteristics of data series.
- Prepare exhibits and documents for staff presentations to the Board, Federal Reserve Banks, and the public.
The TechLab is a multidisciplinary team of policy analysts, developers, economists, and others tasked with researching and analyzing new technologies broadly relevant to digital currencies and other payment, clearing, and settlement activities. The section conducts hands-on research to further the Board’s understanding of specific payment technologies, broaden technical expertise across the Federal Reserve System, and support development of policy views for new technologies. The section contributes to broader innovation work on digital currencies experimentation.
The RA Experience/Program
You’ll join a cohort of approximately 150 RAs working across a variety of operating teams and research disciplines. RAs are encouraged to attend academic research seminars and presentations given by Board economists and visiting scholars, as well as numerous other in-house professional development opportunities. Many take advantage of the Academic Assistance program to puruse additional coursework in preparation for graduate school or to complete certifications in data analytics or other related areas. Most RAs leave the role well-suited to pursue a graduate studies or a number of different career opportunities at the Board or with other organizations.
Must possess knowledge of financial principles, analytical ability, and oral and written communication skills typically acquired through completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in economics, finance, mathematics, statistics, data analytics, or a related discipline/equivalent work experience. Requires practical experience related to database management and statistical software/programming language experience.
- May require writing sample from candidates selected to interview.
- 2-year termed position. No option for renewal.
- COVID-19 vaccination required as a condition of employment, unless a legally required exemption applies.
- This posting is only for the Technology Lab team in our Reserve Bank Operations & Payment Systems (RBOPS) division. To apply for other RA openings across the agency, see the process outlined on our careers site.