The Transportation Specialist Student Trainee:
- Implements transportation program functions in a wide variety of disciplines (engineering, planning, environment, etc.) under the review of the office specialists. The activities will be focused on identifying and eliminating program deficiencies; and develops and coordinates a variety of reports, staff actions, correspondence, program briefings, and other related actions.
- Tracks data and maintains databases of varied Federal-aid performance data and drafts reports as requested. Participates in initiatives/activities as required by the Division Performance Plan to implement programs, products, processes, or technologies that contribute to the achievement of the agency’s National Strategic Goals.
- Assists supervisor or staff members in the formulation of milestones, goals, target dates, and requirements to evaluate/analyze various aspects of projects/programs. Assists in monitoring status of accomplishments against established schedules and on occasion are tasked to identify anticipated problem areas and initiate simple corrective actions.
- Researches, analyzes, and drafts responses to questions regarding specific transportation-related topics.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, conferences, and similar activities.
- Contributes to a range of modeling enhancements that involve engineering, economic, or statistical analysis. Assists with remodeling the problem into a more efficient constrained model by reviewing all constraints and objectives in order to improve the mathematical model and remove redundancies and inefficiencies; Explores possibilities for integrated computer applications of HERS and other models. advises on the model re-code into PYTHON.
- Reviews the quality of the HPMS sample data, devises fixes or errors and omissions and recommends changes to the data collection instruments. Ascertains the minimum sample size needed to generate reliable model outputs (the current sample size is geared toward obtaining reliable descriptive statistics on the highway system at sub-State levels of geography; a smaller sample may suffice for the HERS model where the focus is national).
- Reviews HERS to identify elements that could possibly be eliminated or simplified without any significant loss, but with benefits in faster run times, increased model transparency or integrity, or reduced costs for model documentation and updates, and recommend specific changes.