About Families USA
Families USA, a leading national voice for health care consumers, is dedicated to the achievement of high quality, affordable health care for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient and community centered health system. We are respected as trusted messengers who stay grounded in the consumer experience by working with a consumer-first approach to communications; we hold ourselves and others accountable to high standards of leadership, quality, excellence, and integrity; we uphold the consumer voice foremost with pride and honor; and we relentlessly pursue authentic, two-way engagement with intention and deliberation.
We are currently looking for an Intern for our Communications department. Families USA’s communicators are strategic experts in an array of functions and disciplines, who use communications to elevate Families USA as the voice of health care consumers across our functions, channels, mediums, and target audiences to raise visibility, influence policies, and to uphold the integrity of the Families USA brand. This intern will be a jack-of-all trades communicator who should be ready to lend a hand with writing, social media and more. You’ll have an opportunity to learn from an experienced, close-knit team of communicators while helping achieve the goal of high-quality, affordable health care for everyone in America.
Role/Responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with the preparation of draft publications, presentations, press releases and talking points.
- Assisting with social media and digital media, which will include writing and editing content, monitoring Families USA’s platforms, and promoting Families USA’s original content on social media platforms.
- Assisting the department with activities that support earned media and storytelling.
- Assisting in the cultivation of consumer storytellers who share their lived experiences regarding about America’s health care system and then writing narratives about those consumer experiences.
- Conducting research and collecting information related to target audiences such as Capitol Hill contacts, reporters, or consumer storytellers.
- Providing support generally for the Senior Director of Communications and the Communications team.
- Passion for and deep commitment to health, health care and social justice.
- We greatly value students with journalism, communications, marketing, public policy, political science, English, and health care-related majors and/or extracurricular activities.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills.
- Skilled at organizing and exceptional attention to details.
- Ability to prioritize work under tight deadlines while remaining flexible.
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work individually, as well as part of a team.
- Collaborative, team-first attitude.
Our Work Environment
Interns are paid $15.20 per hour and normally work between 20-30 hours per week. Interns at Families USA are considered and treated as integral members of the staff who have substantive roles to play in achieving the best health and health care for everyone in the country. Families USA considers its internship program an important opportunity to develop the next generation of health justice leaders. Internships are structured to facilitate professional development, with interns working with their supervisor and a mentor on developing and achieving goals, including taking advantage of different learning opportunities in our nation’s capital.
How to Apply
We encourage qualified candidates to apply online at Families USA’s website and include in your application: your letter of interest, resume and 1-3 pages writing sample. Families USA is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified veterans and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.