As our Curriculum Manager, you will own the full cycle of development of our blended learning STEM curriculum. Working within our pedagogical and brand guidelines, you will work with internal Subject Matter Experts to scope class curriculum and learning objectives, design projects that are at the heart of our pedagogy, storyboard online curriculum, and, drawing on media specialists as needed, transform those storyboards and project designs into incredibly engaging digital content. You will produce documentation to guide instructors to best use your digital course materials in the classroom as they coach students, and you will monitor student progress and satisfaction to guide your continuous improvement efforts. You will draw on the pedagogical expertise of our Chief Learning Officer and report to the national VP Programs. Your work will leverage your expertise in pedagogy (particularly project-based, child-centric learning), your ability to work with subject matters experts, your proficiency with multimedia production for young learners, and your passion for STEM. This is an amazing opportunity to impact the STEM learning experiences of tens of thousands of students.
About Empow Studios
At Empow Studios, we educate children ages 7-17 in coding, engineering, and digital arts with a focus on fun, discovery, and building a life-long passion in STEM. We have won more awards for excellence, and offer more programs, in more locations, than any other STEM education provider in Massachusetts.
Through our regional offices, we provide:
- STEM summer camps at 20 locations
- School-year STEM programs for students after school, on weekends, and during school breaks both directly and through partnerships, in more than 50 locations
- Support to schools and educational institutions via teacher training, our online learning platform and STEM curriculum, and field trips to our centers
Empow’s pedagogy sits at the intersection of project-based learning and technology-mediated instruction; we help students explore STEM, find their passions, accelerate their learning, and build their long-term engagement. Our proprietary project-based learning management system enables us to provide learners a great deal of independence in the classroom, getting just-in-time individualized support as they tackle increasingly complicated projects, which allows our instructors to focus on inspiring, coaching, facilitating collaboration, and supporting students’ social and emotional needs.
This past year we brought in the leadership team and investment capital needed for national expansion of our award-winning programs.
Curriculum Development from Ideation to Implementation
- In collaboration with Empow’s Subject Matter Experts, leverage STEM discipline-specific best practices, and scope curriculum plans aligned with our brand and our academic and pedagogical model
- Develop highly engaging digital learning materials that include multiple media including text, graphic, animation, audio, video and interactive components and that mesh with our LMS TalentBox; leverage media developers as necessary
- Design projects that provide the core of our project-based learning curriculum, and build smaller, partially-built projects that provide stepping stone student experiences
- Create documentation for teachers on instructional practices designed to best compliment each piece of curriculum
- Support national program team colleagues to develop and deliver curriculum-specific instructor professional development to ensure effective implementation of curriculum
- Use key metrics including student engagement, learning, satisfaction, and retention to drive continuous improvement efforts
Strategic Curriculum Decisions
- Participate as a member of the team that develops and continually refines our academic and pedagogical model and ensures that curriculum, instructional practices, and assessments are appropriately aligned with it
- Understand the broader context of our business model, market position, and customer requirements (including students, parents, and schools) and include these considerations into decisions about curriculum content and design
- Provide input into strategic program decisions including regarding new programs and new functionality for our proprietary project-based learning management system, TalentBox
- Seek input from program leaders, instructors, families, school leaders, and other key constituents in making eﬀective curriculum decisions
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
At Empow Studios, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for students, families and schools. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every ideal characteristic, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
- 4+ years of experience in an instructional design or curriculum development role developing curriculum and online learning content
- Experience with project-based, informal learning, and/or K-12 focused curriculum development
- Expertise in education design, child learning theory, instructional design principles, UX design, e-learning, and blended learning pedagogies
- Understanding of assessment and evaluation methods
- Experience developing instructor professional development materials, providing instructional support, and overseeing educational program implementation are each a plus
- 2+ years experience and highly skilled in using authoring tools (e.g. Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, or Rise) and multimedia tools (e.g. audio, video, and/or graphic design using tools such as Audacity, Camtasia, Final Cut Pro, and Adobe’s Illustrator, Photoshop, Audition and Premiere Pro)
- Experienced leveraging media specialists as needed
- A strong portfolio of highly engaging, child-centered, learning media
- Passion for STEM and child-education is required
- Experience working with some of the software applications we teach (e.g. Scratch, Roblox, Minecraft, Flowlab, Adobe Rush, SculptGL, Tinkercad, Sweethome), developing STEM curriculum, and teaching in a STEM field are each a plus
Project Management & Interpersonal
- An organized, proactive project-team leader, able to lead multiple project teams to successful completion on schedule
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- A Bachelors or advanced degree in a combination of (a) Education, Instructional Design, Education Technology, or related field, and (b) a STEM discipline relevant to Empow’s content areas is ideal
Salary and Benefits
Competitive and equitable pay commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include a link to your portfolio or previous pieces of representative work as part of your application.