Organization: EDF Innovation Lab
Location: 4300 El Camino Real, Los Altos or Remote
Application Closing: ASAP
Duration: October 2021-March 2022, Full-time/ Part-time
Compensation: Paid, Compensation commensurate with experience
EDF Innovation Lab is building expertise about the integration of DER (Distributed Energy Resources) in the power grids. The objective is to leverage existing tools and algorithms and to develop a skillset on DER Integration.
This will be an exciting role for someone with strong technical and interest in innovation in the Power Grid and Energy Industry. The intern will be a part of the EDF IL team and will have easy access to the lab resources including people to support her/his work.
Education and Experience
- Pursuing a degree in engineering (Undergraduate, Master, Ph.D.) with sufficient experience or knowledge of the power grids and Distributed Energy Resources Integration
- Technical knowledge of Python
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Ability to structure and deliver analyses/work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (strong English skills required)
- Good interpersonal relationship
Job Duties- Specific duties and responsibilities include, among others
- Contribute to Smart Grid experiments (Microgrid, virtual power plants, storage systems, etc.)
- Document and write requirements for Smart Grid experiments
- Data Analysis and Reporting of Smart Grid experiments
- Develop, improve, industrialize and maintain “DER Integration in power grids” algorithms in Python
- Provide product and market research and analysis regarding Smart Grid in the U.S.
- Work with partners on innovative Smart Grid projects
- Identify potential partners in order to launch projects in France or to join a concrete project in the U.S.
All these tasks will be related to work already carried out by the EDF Innovation Lab in previous years.
Disclaimer- May Perform Other Duties Assigned
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send your resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Intern, Smart Grid’ in the subject line.
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables North America, EDF Energy North America, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units. EDF R&D has 1,800 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done by creating partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions.
EDF Innovation Lab (EDF IL)’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors.