Position: Mine Geology Intern
Location: Eagle Mine, Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Assist the Project Geologist with supporting activities associated with mining (Ore Control, Ore Routing, Production Tracking, Engineering, Drilling, Data entry, and Contract Mining support).
- Mapping and sampling of underground development. Sampling of stope muck.
- Compilation and interpretation of geological data.
- Tracking and documentation of mining activities: heading and stope progress, ore routing, sample results.
- Stockpile management, tracking and reporting.
- Ore Control data collection and validation; database management.
- EM Probing of stope drill holes; data interpretation and stope design.
- Assist in planning and implementation of underground drilling programs.
- Assist in underground and down hole surveying.
- Core logging, splitting, and sampling.
- Compilation and interpretation of drilling data;
- Ensure strong adherence to all Environmental and Safety standards and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education, qualifications and experience:
- Enrolled in Bachelor of Science in Geology or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel.
- A strong commitment to safety and environmental compliance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
Key Personal Competencies:
- Action oriented and produces results – tasks are accomplished within required timeframes
- Leadership – accepts responsibility and accountability
- Integrity and trust – operates by personally defined set of ethics and values
- Decision making – correct, appropriate, timely, based on sound judgment, business sense and technical data
- Communications – clear, concise, objective, well organized, is an active listener
- Technical excellence, analysis, problem solving – subject matter expert, researches/support proper solutions
- Ingenuity and resourcefulness – utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, thinks outside the box
- Organized – activities are logically and appropriately prepared, coordinated and conducted
- Planning and scheduling – work is planned properly, scheduled effectively, and accomplished efficiently
- Quality – output meets/exceeds standards, is accurate and complete
- Team work – works collaboratively focusing on team needs, provides recognition, is open and supportive
- Flexibility – accepts change and is open to and supportive of innovative ideas and methods
Everyone in the workplace is responsible for his or her own safety and for the safety of their co-workers. Employees are responsible for performing all tasks in accordance with relevant HSEC Site Procedures, so as to work safely and keep the workplace safe. Lundin Mining Company is responsible for determining steps required to ensure health and safety of all employees, protection of the environment, and the community. Specifically, all employees must:
- Accept personal responsibility for HSEC
- Identify hazards, unsafe actions, and conditions that could result in damage to property, injury, impacts to the environment, and the community
- Obey any instruction issued to protect their own personal health and safety, and the health and safety of others, protection of the environment and the community.
- Report, as soon as practicable to their Manager any situations where HSEC requirements are not being conformed to within their work area
- Avoid endangerment to any other person through any act or omission
- Only use equipment you are trained to use and operate the equipment in a way that is safe, protects the environment and doesn’t cause undue community impacts.
- Participate in HSEC training provided to them
- Report all incidents; including but not limited to injuries, near miss, community interactions and impacts, environmental impacts, spills, unsafe work practices, etc.
To apply, or to find out more about this role please submit your resume, referencing “Internship Mine Geology” to: EagleRecruiting@lundinmining.com.