The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead cutting edge vaccine research against infectious diseases that impact global health. Basic science discoveries made using a variety of human and pathogen-derived proteins, designed, expressed and purified by a collaborative DHVI team have contributed to the identification of vaccine and therapeutic candidates currently being produced in Good Manufacturing Practice facilities for early phase clinical trials.
The Viral Genetic Analysis (VGA) service center/core at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute provides sequencing (NGS and Sanger) and genomic technologies to serve the needs of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Duke Center for AIDS Research, Duke University and external collaborators.
VGA service center is looking for a Research Technician II who will be responsible for daily maintenance and operation of the service center’s next generation sequencers, capillary sequencers, purification robot and other instruments.
- Perform the following (but not limited to) core-related tasks in the DHVI Viral Genetics and Analysis (VGA) Service center
- Next-generation Sequencing (NGS) and capillary sequencing
- Sequencing reactions for Sanger sequencing and standard library preparations for NGS.
- Denature, dilute, and load sequencing library samples
- Run and maintain core equipment
- Molecular biology assays such as PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, DNA preparation.
- Purify PCR products manually as well as on the liquid handling platforms.
- Maintain sample records and tracking data.
- Compile, analyze, document, and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results. Confer with the principal investigator/manager to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments.
- Make modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular project.
- Understand and comply with all safety standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff.
- Perform routine lab maintenance, cleaning, organizing, and restocking supplies.
- Includes keeping lab equipment, chemicals reagents and supplies in excellent order.
- Collaborate with other staff and perform other duties as requested by the Principal Investigator/Manager or senior lab staff.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work generally requires a bachelor’s degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
- Experience: None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE