We are seeking a Lab Research Analyst II to join our biophysics and structural biology teams. The primary responsibility of the position will be to manage the biophysics suite, and interface with the structural biology teams to perform structural determination using x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM.
- Manage biophysics suite including equipment for Isothermal Titration Calorimetry, Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Biolayer Interferometry, Surface Plasmon Resonance and Fluorimetry. Design, optimize and perform assays on viral surface proteins and their interactions with the human immune system.
- Manage x-ray crystallography suite including robots for preparing crystallization screens, setting up crystallization trays and imaging. Perform crystallization experiments, collect data and solve structures.
- Perform cryo-EM experiments including sample preparation, specimen optimization, data collection, map refinement and model building.
- Perform expression of proteins in commonly used systems (E coli, insect, mammalian).
- Perform purifications that involve typical methodologies (IEX, SEC) and may occasionally involve the generation of specialized media for affinity chromatography.
- Analyze biophysical and structural data; prepare results for publication and actively participate in writing manuscripts.
- Present data at group meetings, both within the lab and outside.
- Provide a summary of written work updates and plans each week.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator and laboratory leadership.
Preferred Education, Skills, & Experience
- Master’s degree is a plus.
- Experience in protein expression and purification.
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography or cryo-EM.
- Experience in either ITC or SPR desired.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work requires a bachelor’s degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
- Experience: Work requires four years of research experience. A related master’s degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master’s degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE