Conduct a variety of investigations in the planning, development and implementation of experimental procedures within the overall scope of a research project at Duke University.
- Adhere to Laboratory(s) policies and procedures. Cooperate with various research staff on issues which impact laboratory services.
- Work with various investigators, research personnel and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities. Advise on technical procedures, techniques and equipment, and maintain conformance with specific operational standards.
- Collect information and data through observation, experimentation and various other methods, to include operating highly technical laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Develop and implement laboratory policies and procedures. Provide guidance to lower laboratory staff with the operational policies and procedures.
- Prepare and process specimens for complex immunological and virological procedures, including but not limited to PBMC Processing, Flow Cytometry, Cell Culture, SIV Viral Load, HIV Viral Load, EIA, Western Blot, and devise experimental techniques for testing and analysis as directed by laboratory manager.
- Master laboratory techniques and procedures, and be able to provide guidance to other staff on various assays and methods as needed.
- Donor Recruitment, including contacting and scheduling donors for studies; coordinating with physicians and hospital staff when necessary, consenting, and keeping accurate data and characterization logs.
- Provide guidance as requested regarding training of technical personnel. Provide training to lower level personnel in laboratory techniques and procedures Evaluate and interpret collected data and prepare reports and analyses, monitor trends and make appropriate recommendations or conclusions
- Maintain quality checks on safety of laboratories, including biohazards and insure maintenance of the facilities according to Good Laboratory Practices, and working with Liquid Nitrogen Freezers and tanks while maintaining them daily.
- Evaluate and recommend new techniques and technologies. Install and maintain laboratory equipment in compliance with federal regulations.
- Maintain and continue to ensure website functionality for customers and laboratories.
- Confer with principal investigator in determining specific experiments to be included in the research protocol and to discuss the interpretation of results.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable in shipping and transporting biohazardous samples to other labs around the world, including Liquid Nitrogen Shipping and Dry Ice shipping following federal shipping guidelines.
- Prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results; coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Review journals, abstracts and scientific literature to keep abreast of new developments and to obtain information regarding previous experiments to aid in the design and development of original procedures and techniques.
- Represent the department/laboratory in interactions with other departments.
- Perform other laboratory duties as deemed necessary by laboratory management
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work requires a bachelor’s degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
- Experience: Work requires two years of research experience. A related master’s degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master’s degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE