Interested in being a part of a scientific organization and learning from a supportive team dedicated to bringing the best science to the most neglected?
The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is an international, not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops and delivers new treatments for neglected diseases that affect millions of the world’s poorest people.
Since our inception, DNDi has delivered nine new treatments for people with sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, paediatric HIV, hepatitis C, and malaria that have saved millions of lives. We now aim to deliver an additional 15-18 new treatments by 2028 – addressing R&D gaps for neglected tropical diseases and viral infections, including pandemic-prone and climate-sensitive diseases.
The External Relations (Fundraising) team develops and implements the global fundraising strategy, securing funding from a mix of public and private donors and new financing mechanisms. The worldwide funding goal for DNDi is to secure an additional €130 million by 2023 to meet the target of a total of €730 million raised (€600 having been secured).
Purpose of the position
The Development Intern will be a dynamic and organized self-starter. The role provides administrative support to the Development Associate and Development Manager, and will gain experience supporting a small fundraising team across a wide range of tasks.
Specific job responsibilities
- Update the Salesforce database, including entry, cleaning, and maintenance of donors and prospects
- Support generating standard acknowledgement letters and other donor communications
- Conduct research on current donors & prospects as well as help identify new funding opportunities at the request of the Development Associate
- Assist with coordination of direct mail appeals and editing content of fundraising materials, including the website
- Assist with coordination of fundraising events (both online and offline)
- Update various charity evaluators/assessment organizations
- Provide administrative and clerical support, such as supporting scheduling of external and internal meetings and other tasks as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) is required
- Experience with Mailchimp (or similar email marketing system) is preferred
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) is a plus
- College Senior/Recent Graduate of University or equivalent
Skills and attributes
- Well organized and structured
- Highly motivated, can-do attitude
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, and multi-task
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Detail-oriented even while working in a fast-paced environment
- Status: Paid internship starting December 2021; end date is flexible
- Part-time: 18 hours a week
- Location: New York City vicinity. The development staff (including the intern) will work from the office at least once a week.
DNDi North America strives to be an actively anti-racist organization and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.