Multicultural Financial Services Intern
Time Frame: Summer 2022 with possible extension
Location: Prefer intern to be local (live less than 50 miles from the Credit Union)
Note: We are hiring 20 interns for the Multicultural Financial Services Intern position. Please apply to the location that is local to you for Summer 2022.
The Multicultural Financial Services Intern (MFSI) primarily focuses on helping the CBSI Lead Financial Advisors (LFAs), Associate Financial Advisors (AFAs) and support staff as they work with diverse credit union members to assess and meet the core financial needs of growth, income, protection and legacy. As a member of a financial advisor team, MFSIs will assist, as needed, Coordinators and Sales Assistants with the various administrative and member service tasks needed to smoothly run a financial services practice. Alignment with credit union and CBSI mission & culture will also be very important for success. The MFSI position is designed to allow high potential candidates to learn more about the brokerage/insurance/investment advice/banking business and assess whether a career in any of these industries is worth exploring. Based on performance and opportunity, there is potential for career advancement to include that of AFA or Sales Assistant within a financial services program.
As an intern, the CBSI leadership team and LFA will work with you to give you exposure and opportunities that align with your personal development goals and interests. This internship position is designed to provide hands-on experience to acquire knowledge of financial advising practices. Candidates will have the opportunity to apply what they have learned in a classroom environment while gaining new skills in a dynamic professional setting. This role requires critical attention to detail in a fast-paced environment, self-motivation, and resourcefulness to solve problems and answer questions.
- Working alongside members of the financial services Team (LFA/AFA), develop an understanding of credit union member’s financial and personal goals and understand the importance of putting the member’s needs first.
- Assist the Team as they meet and profile prospective clients, review investment goals, prepare presentations, recommend investment products, follow up on client contacts, and help customers meet their needs through the sale of investment and securities products.
- Assist the Team to prepare for these meetings by compiling meeting materials, generating investment holding reports, assist in the preparation of needs assessments and product recommendations.
- Build strong relationships with credit union staff as well as members within the credit union,
- Assist the financial services team with the delivery—virtually and in-person-of branch seminars and ensure appropriate follow-up from these events.
- Assist as needed in the execution of local marketing development plan.
- Assist Sales Assistants in their duties as they relate to the servicing of member/client needs, including administrative task include contact members to confirm appointments and seminar reservations, track referrals, help coordinate credit union staff training, take and direct member calls as needed.
- Maintain confidential member information by adhering to CBSI’s policies and procedures for data security and privacy.
The above statement of duties is not intended to be all inclusive and other duties will be assigned from time to time.
- Enrollment in relevant college or university financial services or finance related degree program such as accounting, finance, business, financial planning, insurance, or investment management preferred but not required
- Understand multicultural nuances. Be empathetic and appreciative of differences that may deviate from a traditional investment client profile.
- Proven oral and written communication skills. Spanish-speaking fluency a plus.
- Self-starter eager to develop and expand knowledge
- Have a satisfactory background check
- This role will be fingerprinted for FINRA purposes.