Innovation Design Specialist Intern
Vision & Purpose of Job
Innovation Teams create fresh, new ways to connect people to Jesus and train others to address the ministry challenges they face creatively. We co-create resources and strategies, equip leaders for creative problem solving, coach inventors, and develop the innovative culture of Cru. Innovation Teams and Projects provide spiritual and organizational leadership, cultivating creativity in the Ministry.
Innovation Design Specialists contribute primarily by leading or participating in creative problem-solving processes that identify, test and improve solutions for the Campus Ministry, and equipping other leaders to do the same.
Innovation Team Leader (located in Indianapolis, Orlando or Southern California)
Part-Time or Full-Time
A Campus office – Indy, Orlando, or Southern California preferred
Summary Description of Position
As an Innovation Design Specialist, you will contribute to priority projects for Ethnic and Audience Focused Ministries, the Field Executive Leadership Team, and Innovation Leadership through all critical components of the design process: Strategic Learning, Ideation, and Prototyping. You will equip project team members from the Field, coach Field or Capacity projects, and train others with Innovation’s creative problem-solving methods. Innovation Design Specialists are missionaries and focus on missionary competencies, specifically cross-cultural intelligence, evangelism and discipleship, and mobilizing others toward the Great Commission.
Skills, Abilities, Experience
Candidates for this role are comfortable seeing their ideas developing in unexpected ways and transitioning projects to other teams for further development. Innovation’s contribution to the Ministry includes providing leadership to help all staff innovate in the three Scopes – geographic, ethnic, and global. Thus, candidates are motivated to help others with creative problem-solving. Further Skills and Abilities for this role include:
- Dynamic Determination, Intellectual Flexibility, Christ-like Character, and Emotional Well-Being
- Strategic Thinking
- Emotional Intelligence and Self-Awareness
- Growing Cultural Intelligence
- Demonstrating Cru’s values of Faith, Growth, and Fruitfulness
- Demonstrated desire and ability to discover and learn ministry in different contexts
- Experience with areas of design such as Strategic Learning, Ideating, or Prototyping (Formal training is not required.)
- Experience with creative disciplines (i.e. Graphic Design, Videography, Animation/Illustration, Creative Writing, Web/App Design, Music composition) is beneficial but not required.
- Help drive all phases of creative and design processes through Innovation Projects
- Excel in and teach one or more areas of creative and design processes: Strategic Learning, Ideating, or Prototyping.Use the Innovation Project Management Process
- Communicate with others about the spiritual and emotional realities of creative work to help cultivate a relational environment that empowers productive, honest, objective, and gracious discussion amongst a team with diverse ministry, cultural and professional backgrounds and communication styles
- Act as a Spokesperson for Innovation to other Audiences and parts of the ministry; you may be asked to teach information about Campus Audiences or teach a form of creative problem solving
- Engage with Users – students, staff, and/or faculty – as a Strategic Learner.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
Close Working Relationships
The Innovation Design Specialist works closely with other Innovation Design Specialists and Innovation Project Managers, Innovation Team Leader(s), Field or Capacity Staff.
Over time, Innovation Design Specialists gain experience with creative problem solving with/for International Missions, Audience-Focused Ministries (Bridges, High School, Valor, Faculty and Graduate Ministry), and Ethnic Focused Communities (Destino, Epic, Nations, Design). Innovation works extensively with different types of research; in the job description, Research is included under the term Strategic Learning.
For more information regarding this role, please contact Lorenna.Ellis@cru.org, Director of Innovation
“As a religious organization whose purpose and character are primarily religious, Cru may prefer to hire and employ individuals who agree with our religious beliefs and who are faithful to our doctrinal and ethical teachings and practices.”