The Community Health Care Association of New York (CHCANYS) is recruiting AmeriCorps members to serve in the frontlines of the COVID-19 response and recovery thru the New York State Public Health Corps.
NYS Public Health Corps is a workforce development program dedicated to preparing AmeriCorps members for careers in public health and community-based primary health care, while addressing the most pressing health care needs in communities throughout New York State.
Public Health Corps members serve in federally-qualified Community Health Centers, performing direct service with patients and community residents thereby filling service gaps, increasing access to health care services, and improving utilization of services. Members provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services, tailored to meet the needs of the communities they serve.
Public Health Corps members perform a half-year term of service focused on addressing the most pressing health care challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. During their term of service members will:
· Assist with COVID-19 vaccine rollout efforts
· Community outreach and education about the COVID-19 vaccine
· COVID-19 awareness and education
· Re-engaging patients lost to care
· Food distribution and increasing food security
· Linking patients and community residents to resources
· Emergency preparedness training and education
· Other services addressing Social Determinants of Health
Positions are available in all five NYC boroughs and across the state. Each position in the program is tailored to meet the specific needs of our diverse Community Health Center sites. Spanish language skill is strongly encouraged but not required to apply.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
AmeriCorps members in the Public Health Corps receive a complete package of benefits during the 5-6 month term of service, including:
· Living allowance of $7,500
· Segal Education Award of $3,097
· Unlimited Monthly Metrocard
· Health Insurance
· Child Care benefits
· Loan deferment on qualified student loans
As a workforce development program, CHCANYS NYS Public Health Corps is committed to developing a pipeline to public and community health careers and higher education. Public Health Corps members receive extensive professional development and training opportunities. Members receive host site training specific to their service activities and will have the opportunity to be enrolled in Cornell University’s innovative Public Health Essentials Certificate Program. Members have access to trainings offered by CHCANYS, the New York State Department of Health, access to the Public Health Corps’ Mentorship Network, and may be eligible for SUNY academic credit upon completing specific trainings and upon completion of their service term.
Members will benefit from ongoing professional development, specialized training, and a wide exposure to careers in public health and medicine. This first-hand experience in health service delivery, coupled with in-service training and post-program transition services results in CHCANYS NYS Public Health Corps members:
o Pursuing upwardly mobile health careers
o Developing a life-long commitment to volunteer service
o Achieving long-term personal, family, and civic stability and growth
· Learn specific transferable skills in healthcare.
· Career services, including resume development assistance, cover letter writing, and mock interviewing.
· Gain insight in working in non-profit community-based environments.
· Live in your own community or learn about a new community away from home.
To apply to the CHCANYS New York State Public Health Corps by clicking here. Please note that you will have to register to the MyAmeriCorps member application portal to apply.
For more information about the New York State Public Health Corps please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.