Our teammates are at the core of what we believe in: People, Collaboration, Learning, and Excellence (PeopleCLE). We look to hire individuals who are committed to our purpose of uniting and inspiring our city through the power of team. Our mission is to win the World Series while creating a compelling fan experience. If you believe you possess these important traits, please consider a career with the Cleveland Indians (Guardians).
All applicants for employment at the Cleveland Indians (Guardians) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Ballpark Operations Intern will assist the Ballpark Operations Department with planning, development, and execution of company projects, programs, gameday activities, and special events while gaining the opportunity to learn about the business function of Ballpark Operations and develop skills for a career in Major League Baseball. This individual will contribute to department goals to sustain and enhance the physical structure, provide excellent service and experiences, maintain efficiencies and cost-effectiveness and ensure a safe environment.
The job will require interactions with crowds of people, and thus carries risks associated with such gatherings.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Event and Staff Management
- Spearhead initial touchpoints of holistic recruitment and hiring process for Ballpark Operations.
- Manage candidate experience throughout the hiring process, focusing on logistical details and coordination of hiring days.
- Assist with onboarding and training for new teammates.
- Assist with creating and implementing preseason training for all ballpark operations personnel.
- Assist with scheduling for all ballpark operations front-of-house team members including ushers, premium seating, security, fan ambassadors, and kids’ clubhouse.
- Advise department leadership regarding changes and factors affecting the schedule and recommend staffing adjustments based on findings and trends.
- Assist with the administrative duties of staff payroll (e.g. review payroll discrepancies, overtime, etc.).
- Assist with determining staffing and implementing deployments for all events at Progressive Field.
- Assist in management and supervision of pregame, postgame and non-gameday special events.
- Partner with department leadership to manage and upkeep records in an organized and consistent fashion.
- Assist department leadership with project management, focusing on large, cross-departmental projects.
- Create, implement, and evaluate midseason training programs for all ballpark operations personnel.
- Assist in uniform inventory for seasonal teammates including monitoring inventory levels and executing distribution.
- Partner with department leadership to manage implementation and use of various modules of 24/7 Software.
- Confer with department leadership to develop and implement staff learning opportunities.
- Provide support to operations analytics programs, including entry experience, service evaluations, and other metrics of evaluation.
- All other duties and projects as assigned.
Information Collection and Distribution
- Lead the scheduling, coordination, and set-up of homestand meetings (e.g. meeting location, necessary materials). Gather gameday information from respective departments to accurately create and update meeting documents. Amend gameday documents as needed.
- Create, manage, and appropriately disseminate the Event Sheet in partnership with appropriate internal and external resources.
- Review incidents and concerns from previous games, following up as appropriate.
- Manage and distribute the post-event report, appropriately gathering and disseminating information for a variety of sources and departments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Basic computer skills specifically including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Basic understanding of standard office equipment especially photocopiers
- Clear understanding of all department and company policies and procedures
- Clear understanding of individual staff responsibilities within the department
- Ability to utilize basic software programs such as Aware Manager and Scheduler
- Reads, speaks, comprehends, and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Indians (Guardians) in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 75 lbs.