Overview: We are an inspired team of teachers committed to nature immersion, interest-led learning, and authentic play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. Our programs are located on the grounds of Massachusetts Horticultural Society and the Arnold Arboretum. We welcome qualified interns year round, and especially during our summer program in July and August.
Intern Role: To assist with teaching a class of children ages 2.9 through 6 under the supervision of experienced Lead Teachers
9 a.m.: Drop-off
- Morning circle
- Hike to an “adventure spot” (varies each day)
- Nature-play, exploration, making friends, environmental education, storytelling, respecting and caring for Earth
- Hike back
12 p.m.: pick-up
Length of internship: Summer internships are July 5 through August 26, 2022. School year internships are flexible.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while promoting respect and community
· Assist the Lead Teacher to be responsible for the health and safety of each child. This includes helping children stay comfortable in various weather conditions and managing risk in an outdoor setting
· Learn about the flora and fauna at the Arnold Arboretum/MassHort and use an inquiry-based approach with children in nature
· Gracefully and professionally communicate with teachers, parents, and Arboretum staff
· Attend an orientation, online and in-person trainings, and meet with your Lead Teacher supervisor to set goals for the internship. Participate in daily teaching team check-ins after class, a mid-point meeting, and final meeting with your supervising Lead Teacher.
· With guidance from a Lead Teacher, design and lead a project related to early childhood environmental education.
· Maintain regular attendance and punctuality
· Strong interest in exploring the field of nature-based early childhood education
· Curiosity about the natural world and ability to convey a sense of awe and wonder to the children
· Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
· Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (including carrying a supplies wagon)
Please note: This is an unpaid (volunteer) position. Background checks are required.