Part- or Full-Time Remote / Work-from-Home Position
Rather than the coffee-fetching and file-organizing of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience by participating in ongoing research and development activities that generally involve providing service and knowledge to the non-profit sector and the many good causes this sector represents.
This internship will be focused on graphic design for a collection of knowledge that we are calling the Rules of Thumb (RoT). Your involvement in our graphic design and RoT project can directly help those entering the business world by helping us reformat the content we’ve previously created into a book that will be published, slides that will be used for training people, and webpages that will promote the book and the training. You will be involved in the decision making process and collaborate with other interns on best practices about how to present this product.
About the Rules of Thumb
The Rules of Thumb Guide is not your ordinary employee training service. It defines the unspoken business practices most often glanced over in traditional business training. The Rules of Thumb aren’t organized like a course; there is no pass or fail. Instead, we have accumulated hundreds of familiar and pertinent business scenarios with immediate feedback on how to approach those issues. Every rule comes with context and is organized into different business topics to make them easy to find. When reading the rules, they might seem obvious, however, we have found them to be forgotten or erroneously recalled in the heat of the moment. As such, they help people learn a wide variety of soft skills and communication best practices through explicit advice, rather than the hard way, trial-and-error. In doing this project, you’ll learn the RoT’s as you go.
A Unique and Valuable Experience
Your name can be acknowledged on authored projects that have the potential to be published to executives. This means a chance to be publicly and professionally recognized for your contributions.
- You’ll design the layout, illustrations, and graphics for a book, slides, and web pages about the RoT training.
- You will work both collaboratively in a team, and independently, to meet your goals.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
Our Rules of Thumb training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees and interns. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to enable the world to better itself. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, database integration, and communication technologies. Your research will contribute to both our mission to help nonprofits and the nonprofits themselves to better aid their communities. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a nonprofit organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), the National Science Foundation (NSF), and sales of services to nonprofits. For more information please visit https://idgrants.com/ and https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
Preferred Skills to Have or Develop
- Experience with graphic design & illustration
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Connect with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours.
- Have flexibility on daily start and stop times
- Weekly time commitment and begin and end dates are flexible according to availability
You will be able to see the beginning of a new product and be able to provide your own creative ideas and get to see it come to fruition. While this is an unpaid internship, there are many skills that can be developed through this experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. complies with all US Department of Labor Federal Internship Guidelines. https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.