Madison Marquette Real Estate Services provides analytical services and support for American Realty Advisors (ARA). The Associate, Investments, works with ARA’s Investment Team to provide analysis and support throughout all areas of the acquisition process including underwriting, financing, due diligence, and closing with a primary focus on evaluating institutional quality industrial, residential, office, and retail real estate acquisition opportunities. This role is based in the greater Boston area supporting a senior acquisitions officer focused on the Mountain and Texas regions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the evaluation, underwriting, due diligence investigation, and closing of potential real estate investments, including direct equity, joint venture, preferred equity, mezzanine financing, and other structured finance investments. Potential investment targets include stabilized development/redevelopment and value-add opportunities.
- Prepare complex and detailed financial analyses utilizing existing models, create ad-hoc Excel models as needed to evaluate a myriad of investment structures.
- Review Argus, Excel, and other financial models to accurately and logically calculate and report all appropriate financial information about the investment under consideration.
- Assist with preparation of various correspondence and reports, including letters of intent, investment committee memos, due diligence findings, and abstracts of various legal documents.
- Interact with market participants throughout the acquisition process to obtain information relating to investments under consideration, including leasing and sales brokers, tenants, property managers, governmental authorities, and other investors.
- Research, triangulate and maintain familiarity with financial investment metrics in major target metropolitan areas, including recent sales, cap rates, leasing activity, and supply pipeline.
- Assist with the presentation preparation and communication of potential investment opportunities, official investment memoranda, financial underwriting, due diligence investigations findings, and other critical investment-related information to the investment committee, and the deal team.
- Interpret real estate documentation about ownership structures, legal contracts, accounting, and property operations. Conduct reviews, summarize, and offer commentary on transactional documents under negotiation, including joint venture and loan agreements, and third-party engagement letters.
- Assist with the due diligence process, documentation, and reports, including lease review, loan documentation, physical, environmental, and title reports, covenants, conditions, and restrictions, purchase and sale agreements, and other related ancillary documents.
- Support other associates with the internal valuation process to ensure accurate valuations and optimal hold/sell evaluations for the existing portfolio.
- Other activities that may be assigned from time to time.
The above listing represents the general duties considered essential functions of the job and is not to be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Real Estate, or related field required.
- At least three years of relevant experience in commercial real estate analysis or asset management; an intermediate understanding of real estate finance associated terms and formulas, as well as the construction/development processes.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with consultants, vendors, third-party property managers, and other members of the organization.
- Strong finance and mathematical skills including, but not limited to, the ability to calculate and understand discounted cash flows, net present value, internal rate of return. Capable of generating and interpreting statistical data; demonstrated analytical skills, including financial analysis.
- Familiarity with various software for word processing and spreadsheet preparation. Demonstrated proficiency and precision in Microsoft Excel with the ability and understanding of how to build formulas.
- Expected work hours: 8:30 to 5:30, Monday through Friday with occasional weekends.
- Travel: Business trips with overnight stays may be required. Occasionally may be required to drive a personal vehicle for business.
- Work environment and physical demands: General office environment includes.
ARA and its service providers are Equal Opportunity Employers.