If you love understanding the intricacies of product development, solving for complex design and functionality issues, or aiding in the launch of that next awesome instrument, then you should strongly consider joining our R&D team as a Machine Design Engineer.
A Snapshot of What You’ll Do:
As a Machine Design Engineer for Anton Paar, you’ll have the opportunity to play an integral role in the design, testing, and development of Anton Paar QuantaTec’s new and existing analytical lab instrumentation products including:
- Conceptualizing, designing, testing, and documenting all components of the engineering process for each product.
- Coordinating with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to support existing products and new product development.
- Managing and delivering work assignments on time, in budget and in accordance with Anton Paar’s quality standards.
Deep Dive Into Your Responsibilities:
To be a successful Machine Design Engineer on our team, it’s important that you are a self-starter with the ability to balance multiple projects on defined timelines. You’ll need to have hands on experience building machines, products or instruments from start to finish. Experience building machines and instruments from initial white paper concept to full design and production is an important aspect of this role. Communication and collaboration are also key because you’ll work closely with inter-company teams to design and refine product requirements. Here’s a closer look at the responsibilities:
- Attend brainstorming sessions to develop new products and address existing product challenges.
- Interpreting project specifications to create system concepts and develop 3D models.
- Creating proposals for new products, improving existing products and/or optimizing manufacturability.
- Developing engineering plans, costed BOMs, and mechanical systems and parts.
- Designing, and implementing test and validation procedures for new and existing products.
- Holding design reviews with project teams to get feedback and refine ideas.
- Creating 3D models using CAD to refine design and further test and verify.
- Tracking the performance of mechanical systems and parts to maintain alignment with engineering timelines.
- Performing root cause analysis to support quality initiatives and initiating corrective and preventive action plans.
- Developing, implementing, and documenting changes to current products to improve quality, serviceability and/or to lower costs.
- Providing technical support on the mechanics to internal customers within a defined time frame.
- Delivering all aspects of the Anton Paar development process with attention to quality and detail.
- Following all company policies, procedures, and safety regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications You’ll Need:
Machine Design Engineers on our team use a variety of technical skills, soft skills and industry knowledge to design new products, including:
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for all work activities and personal actions, follows through on commitments, and acknowledges and learns from mistakes
- Collaboration: Works well with others on internal and external teams by using effective interpersonal skills
- Communication: Provides clear instruction to the project team, clearly explains how the software works and is available to answer any questions that may arise
- Integrity: Behaves honorably even when no one is watching and follows moral and ethical principles in all areas of work including decision making, interacting with colleagues, and servicing customers
- Problem Solving: Ability to efficiently identify and resolve issues that arise during the design, testing and maintenance process
- Quality of Work: Works to the highest of quality standards by anticipating problems, testing and checking work, and pays close attention to detail
- Self-Starter: Uses trusted and efficient work methods to launch projects and balances multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Technical Expertise: Demonstrates depth of knowledge and skills, and develops solutions to highly complex problems by applying technical acumen
- Time Management: Ability to deliver on time with optimal use of resources, achieve desired results within given time frames and decide between conflicting priorities.
Education and Experience:
Machine Design Engineers typically need a combination of education, training, certifications, and skills. This role requires the following:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years’ experience in the engineering field.
- Experience with at least 1 of the following CAD packages: NX, SolidWorks, Creo, Inventor or Catia.
- Strong knowledge of integrating material selections into designs for ease of manufacturing.
- Ability to design and layout sheet metal parts, panels, doors and knowledge of the sheet metal fabrication processes along with the implementation of fasteners for ease of assembly.
- Basic knowledge of light duty mechanical, pneumatic or electric lifts including selection of motors, bearings, pulleys and drive belts.
- Knowledge of primary and secondary machining processes including milling, turning and selection of associated finishes for both metals and plastics.
- Ability to create fully defined 3D solids and 2D CAD drawings from conceptual stages through manufacturing including prototypes and testing of concepts.
- Understands GD&T techniques and capable of performing tolerance calculations when appropriate.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a diverse team.
- Self-motivated and a strong work ethic.
Preferred skills include:
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Knowledge of high/low pressure liquid or gas systems and the ability to design and layout leak tight P&ID, including tubing templates, fittings, and gating devices.
- Ability to design and spec tooling, processes associated with plastic injection molding, structural foam for aesthetic housings and components.
- Prior design experience in electro-mechanical devices and high vacuum technology.
- Experience with transducers and sensor integration.
- Six Sigma Green Belt or higher.
Systems Used At Anton Paar:
Our team utilizes various programs to develop our products, and we are continuously enhancing our mixture of software to keep up with modern software development methods. Currently we use:
- SAP, Concur, Polarion, Confluence, Jira, Minitab & Visio
- Lotus Notes Suite: Extranet, Internal Database, Master Data, Team Calendar & Workflow International
- MS Suite: Project, Excel & PowerPoint
This role is an independent contributor who is a member of multiple teams, and does not have any direct supervision of staff.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, observe, communicate and handle items such as computers, machinery and other equipment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Position requires the ability to obtain a Passport for international travel.
In regards to organizational issues, the employee will comply with the regulations set forward in the Anton Paar Employee Handbook, except if otherwise stated.
Anton Paar Quanta Tec Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment opportunities at Anton Paar Quanta Tec Inc. are based upon one’s qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to: age, race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, sickle cell trait, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.