Office of Communications
Date Posted: 10.14.21
Date Closing: Open Until Filled.
Salary: $115,000 – $125,000
The Anne Arundel County Department of Health is seeking a Director of Communications. This is a contractor position with the possibility of evolving into a State Merit position.
This position, which reports to the Health Officer, is responsible for supervising and overseeing the Office of Communications for the Anne Arundel County Department of Health. The Communications Director leads communication and outreach efforts promoting health initiatives across the county, focusing on advancing health equity, health literacy and health education. This role keeps internal and external stakeholders informed about DOH programs, new initiatives and policies, that affect the health and well-being of Anne Arundel County residents.
This position will:
- Directly supervise all staff within the Communications team, including staff dedicated to website maintenance, social media, health education, media relations, graphic design,
- and content development.
- Prepares and manages all communications material and assists in the creation of digital, video, audio, and print content.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a strategic communications plan for the department.
- Manage external communications, including DOH media relations, social media channels, website, print publications, and event planning.
- Manage internal communications, including using existing employee communications channels and developing additional ones as applicable to meet relevant departmental and programmatic objectives.
- Represent the DOH in a liaison capacity with managers and officials of other agencies (County and State), external partners (hospitals, nonprofits, and more), the media, and the public.
- Tracks engagement across various platforms to make data-driven decisions as well as oversee the development and implementation of marketing strategies for special and emerging health concerns for targeted segments of the community. This includes advancing health literacy and health equity.
- Develops and executes an office budget and directs all DOH internal and external communication activities.
- Be designated an emergency essential employee at the time of an emergency, requiring the Director, Office of Communications to report to work or remain at work to continue emergency public information as required.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: At least five years of management-level experience leading a communications office, which provided the applicant the competencies and expertise necessary to be successful.
- Experience in a senior, strategic leadership role in district, state-level or private sector communications, including substantial media relations and social media experience.
- Experience managing a communications team and creating and implementing a strategic communications plan.
- Demonstrated track record in leading and managing a strategic communications team
- Experience with public health messaging and advancing health equity and health literacy.
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing various media platforms to create robust and compelling content that increases and enhances stakeholder engagement and understanding
- Proven experience as a spokesperson within a high-profile organization and managing media during stressful or crisis situations
- Deep knowledge of communication vehicles, including print, broadcast, electronic, social, and digital media
- Keen sense of judgment and tact and ability to work with varying stakeholders, staff, and colleagues.
- Ability to delegate direction and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Proven ability to manage a team of skilled professionals
How to Apply
Send CV and cover letter to Ms. Grace Jibril, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org or mail 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401. The position is Open Until Filled..