4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”) is a clinical-stage gene therapy company pioneering the development of product candidates using targeted and evolved AAV vectors. 4DMT seeks to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using its platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution, which combines the power of directed evolution with approximately one billion synthetic capsid sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in targeted gene therapy products. The company is initially focused in three therapeutic areas: ophthalmology, cardiology, and pulmonology. The 4DMT targeted and evolved vectors are invented with the goal of being delivered through clinically routine, well-tolerated and minimally invasive routes of administration, transducing diseased cells in target tissues efficiently, having reduced immunogenicity and, where relevant, having resistance to pre-existing antibodies. 4DMT is currently conducting three clinical trials: 4D-125 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for XLRP, 4D-110 is in Phase 1 clinical trial for choroideremia and 4D-310 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for Fabry disease.
4DMT is focused on attracting and retaining the best people in the industry who identify with our mission and innovative results-driven approach. We offer an inspiring and collaborative environment that encourages individual contributions, recognizes performance in multiple ways, offers competitive salary and benefits, and provides challenging opportunities for career development. 4D Molecular Therapeutics is located in Emeryville, CA.
The Director, Total Rewards & HR Ops, is responsible for the Total Rewards program, including compensation, benefits, equity, HR systems, process, and analytics. By Partnering with Leaders and the HR team to provide operational support for 4D’s growth strategies. This individual will also run or participate in projects that impact all employees. As an HR professional, you will consult and partner with, advise, coach, negotiate, influence, innovate and challenge leaders, managers, and individual contributors on people-related issues; work in partnership with functional leaders to design, develop and drive HR Ops initiatives that meet strategies and scientific goals, improve the effectiveness of the organization in collaboration with the management team; and provide recommendations and outcomes that will enhance management capability and organizational performance. This position reports to CHRO.
4DMT is growing the HR team to support its mission to unlock the full potential of gene therapy!
4D is building for tremendous growth:
1. 4D’s Board Chair is just retired CEO of Gilead, who, over 29 years, took the organization from 32 employees to over 11,800 employees.
2. Leaders come from Genentech, Novartis, Johnson & Johnson, and other successful companies.
3. The science is novel. The technology already works. The company is backed by the best. See our press releases for proof!
4. The HR team is solid, respected, and appreciated.
5. The culture is energized, positive, and walks the walk on inclusion and valuing the whole person – hence excellent benefits and perks.
6. Come join in our success and positive culture!!
- Total Rewards
- Provide ongoing strategic and data-driven insights around the Total Rewards program for 4DMT’s growing organization
- Support CHRO with Executive and Front-line compensation analysis. Noticing trends, crafting, and improving position architecture
- Collaborate with line leadership and Director, HRBP/Talent Acquisition to implement compensation structures and philosophy for new positions and establish a thoughtful, equitable, and competitive process for the growing organization
- Manage the Benefits design, selection, broker management, and analysis of cost savings yet competitive offering in the Biotech talent market
- HR Operations
- Be responsible for the strategy, process, and systems selection/implementation behind data, compliance, and integration within the HR function looking for innovative ways to leverage tools and systems to streamline processes
- Implement the array of 4D HR Operational Processes and tools to use with clients, balancing their specific needs with the efficiency and scale necessary across the organization
- HR Team and Client Support
- Coach and consult line managers in all issues regarding HR Operations, Total Rewards and Benefits
- Collaborate with HR Team on cross-team initiative and programs adding value, insights, and support
- Provide advice and counsel to managers regarding compensation and benefits, policy, and employment law
- Educate and empower employees navigating life events, leave of absences and be an escalation point for benefit or compensation questions.
- Provide support to employees, including assistance with confidential problems and issues
- Interpret feedback and provide an informed and independent perspective on 4D organizational strengths and weaknesses given its scientific and commercial ambitions and competitive environment
- Consult with key organizational stakeholders to identify and diagnose areas where pay equity and organizational design and help implement innovative and sustainable solutions, especially with Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging being at the forefront of our decisions
- Design, develop, improve, support and monitor organization-wide processes and programs aimed at building organizational capability
- Consult with CHRO and Executive team to identify strategies that support the desired organizational culture across 4D while also connecting to specific needs of individual functional areas
- Identify opportunities and help shape strategies and plans to address gaps
- Stay current on trends in the Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits and HR Operations field to ensure solutions are progressive and relevant
- Perform other duties as necessary as assigned by management
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- 12+ years of HR experience, with 5 in a specific area of expertise, e.g., HR Operations, Total Rewards (Compensation, Equity, and Benefits Administration), or People Analytics
- Preferred – experience in a publicly traded company and within the Life Sciences industry
- HRIS and Payroll system selection, implementation, and management experience. ie. Workday or equivalent
- Salary Survey and Data Analytics expertise, Radford/AON experience a plus
- Sound business acumen
- Proven ability to work with diverse organizational and social cultures
- Strong analytic skills
- Strong technical skills (HRIS and Payroll systems),
- Strong facilitation skills
- Proven project management, delegation, collaboration, and influence skills
- Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively and build strong relationships
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and successfully manage multiple projects while meeting time-sensitive and demanding deliverables
- Proven ability to work in high pressure, highly visible situations
- Experience leading direct reports and project teams
- Solid understanding of Human Resources principles, policies, and practices
- Knowledge of Federal, California, other state and local legal considerations related to Human Resources, compensation, pay equity, and benefits administration.
- Ability to learn new functions and concepts quickly; self-starter
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Ability to work and communicate with employees at many levels across diverse cultures
- Excellent judgment in handling confidential, sensitive information
- Excellent overall communication, writing and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
- Experience with HRIS, Microsoft Suite tools (including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Access and Excel), Applicant Tracking Systems and talent management/performance management application, benefits administration and compensation survey tools
- Other duties as assigned, nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- Physical Requirements:
- Adhere to 4DMT COVID protocols and policy.
- During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the ability to work remotely until it is safe to return to the worksite and work on-site once 4DMT deems it safe to return.
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities