Three graduating seniors receive arts prizes

Originally published at The Hub in May 2021. Three graduating seniors representing each of the three undergraduate schools at Johns Hopkins University have received prizes for their artistic endeavors as students. Similoluwa “Simi” Aluko, a playwright and senior at the Whiting School of Engineering, has been awarded Johns Hopkins’ Louis Sudler Prize in the Arts, and Mafalda Santos, a senior at the Peabody Institute, and Ellie Kim, a senior at the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, will both receive the President’s Commendation for Achievement in the Arts. “I feel very blessed and very grateful to my mentors in the theater department—Peg Denithorne, John Astin, Joe Martin—who always supported and encouraged me, sometimes more than I encouraged myself,” said Aluko.

Image: Simi Aluko

Since 1983, The Sudler Prize has been awarded to a graduating senior from the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering, the Peabody Conservatory, or a fourth-year student from the School of Medicine who, in the opinion of a committee, has demonstrated excellence and the highest standards of proficiency in the visual or performing arts. Read about the winners and their projects at The Hub.

By contributor
contributor Profile Picture